cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ttweed03
Level 1
10 5 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

Wondering if anyone has experience with this error message, even while they can print on their all-in-one:    "The scanner could not be initialized (Scanner not found)."

I could scan until I unpacked & re-set up my Mac in a new apartment--as far as I know, nothing was changed from when it was working.  I found an HP support page with fixes for the above error message at: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu05214 ...but none of the suggestions worked, and the last one is for Windows users (and it had no suggestions for Mac platforms). I tried the Device Manager's 'Setup Assistant', no change. Tried its 'Choose Device' and none are listed; clicking its 'Refresh [list]' did nothing. 

Below are my system details  Thanks for any suggestions!

HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One Printer 
purchase year : 2008 
operating system : Macintosh OS X 10.6 
How is your product connected to your PC? : USB Cable 

14 REPLIES 14
WV659
6 3 0 0
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

Am having exactly same problem this p.m. All systems ok, updates fine. Printing fine. But get this message when I try to scan. And it won't allow me to select the scanner in that window that comes up

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,872
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

This is a symptom of having the wrong software for Snow Leopard (10.6) installed.  Did you install the software from the printer CD or have you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard?

If so, uninstall the hp software with the special 'scrubber' key sequence:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
WV659
6 3 0 0
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

My iMac never has problems, I just don't understand this at all. I did in fact install Snow leopard a few months ago and may not have scanned anything since then. So I was totally convinced your solution would work.

sorry - but having done everything you said and tried several times to scan a document it is worse than ever! I think it is crashing. anyway the net result is that I can still print but not scan. At least now it doesn't say it can't find a scanner! that was Absurd when I have an all in one so if it can find the printer it must have been able to find the scanner.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

OK, sorry that did not work.  Because the printing and scanning systems are now more connected, let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
ttweed03
Level 1
10 5 0 1
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

You're right, I had installed snow leopard before the scanner stopped working!  The answer to the following may enlighten a few others:

I followed your directions, except I forgot to hold down ctrl-opt-cmnd when clicking 'uninstall'.   It did that & I was able to follow the rest of your directions, but can you tll us what I missed by uninstalling without holding down those keys?

Second, you were unclear as to how to scan from now on.  No longer  do I seem to have a 'Device Manager' from which to select 'scan' an item from the glass.

Anyway, a sincere thank you for the basic solution. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

The ctrl-opt-cmd is the 'scrubber' option and it removes just about everything on your Mac that is associated with the hp software - .plist files in libraries, etc.  I am not sure what the regular uninstall removes, but it is not everything.

Scanning instructions were in the bottom of my post: "Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work."

Personally, I like scanning from Image Capture.  Its one of those hidden gem apps that Apple never talks about.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
ttweed03
Level 1
10 5 0 1
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

Excuse my stupidity, but  by front of the printer" do you mean the glass (not being available yet)?  So how do I initiate a scan from the glass into a  Preview file?  If the answer is in Image Capture, I don't know about it, but can find out (no need to exlpain to me).  Sorry!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

Oops, I meant to say Control Panel of the printer.

When you open Image Capture, click the triangle next to "Devices" or "Shared" on the left side.  Then click "Show Details" along the bottom.  On the right side you will be able to pick the scan destination, file type and other settings.

I am employed by HP

Harvard76
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"scanner not found"

Hello PrintDoc,

I have an HP3210 All-in-One which I can print to, but cannot scan from using my new iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.  I have done exactly what you have suggested in this post, and also (previously), all the things that Double-U-Dee suggested in other posts on the "Mac printing and scanning" board, and nothing seems to get Snow Leopard talking to this 3210 scanner.  In fact previously, whereas after making the recommended changes, and getting to finally re-add the 3210 in System Preferences / Print & Fax, after following your instructions in this post, when I come to add the 3210 this time, I see two printers named, the first is HP Photosmart 3200 series, with Kind = USB, and the second is named "Photosmart 3200 series" (without HP at the front), and the Kind = bluetooth.  When I add both of these two printers, neither of the two now shows a Scan button in the Print & Fax window.

Thanks for your help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Harvard76.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation