Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how do i get the wireless printer to print when it says printer ofline buts its on and connected to network. Envy4500 series

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

FYI, there are some troubleshooting steps in the link below

Printer is offline msg

Windows 10: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Windows 8: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Windows 7: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Windows Vista: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Mac: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249334

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I'm encountering same problem as Karen9710 reported on 1/19, and suggestion offered by Ciara_B on 1/20 did not offer any new solutions that I didn't already find/try including using HP Print & Scan Doctor which says it finds no problem with the printer. Only final solution HP Print & Scan Doctor and HP website's Support section solutions ultimately offer when nothing else they suggest has worked, is to uninstall/reinstall printer and start from scratch, meaning getting it re-connected to wireless network, meaning it will receive a new IP address.  I did that once and it only worked for a short time and then I was back to the same problem again.  Second time, I decided to try shutting down/re-starting computer, which got the printer back online.  But then problem happened again and re-starting computer DIDN'T get printer back online.

In problem-solving this issue, I've also looked at the printer queue by right-clicking on printer icon in bottom tray and selecting the HP Envy 4500 (Network) printer.  The window's header identifies the printer by name and model, followed by word "OFFLINE".  Next, I click on the label "Printer" to view drop-down list choices.  Among the choices in the drop-down list, I first cancel any documents I see waiting in the printer queue and then confirm that there is no checkmark next to "pause print" or "use printer offline" options in the drop-down list.  So that ruled out that the printer was paused or that somehow the "use printer offline" was not checked by error -- which it wasn't.  Back to square one with no way I can find to get printer online ... short of uninstalling/re-insalling printer, I began to try discovering some common denominator present or occurring just before each occasion that we find the printer online next time we go to use it, knowing that it worked fine just before a particular common event or action but not after.   Ruled out computer shutdown/restart which was easy because we don't initiate re-boots often (except for downloading or installing something that requires a re-boot) and the only other times not initiated by us are when security updates are automatically downloaded installed and require re-booting.  Both ruled out as not occurring and being possible triggers.

Narrowed it down to (1) only one new device added to wireless network, before which this printer problem was not occurring; (2) only other notable thing occurring just before the printer offline problem arises is the use of the new device added to the wireless network.  That device added was the Chromecast connection from our computer to our TV so we can stream Netflix movies to our TV over the wireless network to watch them on the TV.  I'm 90% sure there is some correlation between the use of the Chromecast device streaming the movies to the TV and our wireless printer going offline and then not easily restored to being online, but I'm at a loss thus far to figure out what it is because it doesn't happen every time we stream a movie to the TV from the computer via our wireless network.  I'm curious if that provides any HP expert with ideas as to how the Chromecast streaming might be causing our printer to go offline and be imposssible to get back online right now.  I'm going to report this same dilemma via a Chromecast forum if there is one, to see if others are experiencing the problem, but in the meantime, hoping this forum will have someone else who's experiencing same problem I am and possibly something contained in my problem-solving phase is ringing a bell with their "printer offline" problem patterns.  I obviously do not consider HP's ultimate solution to be a viable one ... uninstalling/reinstalling the printer and getting it once again hooked up to the wireless network.  That is not a solution, just a bandaid for something that repeated itself after applying the bandaid.  It's totally impractical to keep uninstalling/reinstalling the printer & reestablishing a wireless connection between and other network devices every time the printer suddenly says it's offline even though everything in the troubleshoot procedures and the HP Print & Scan doctor show no problem with the printer and and indicate it's online, except for fact that it is functionally offline for some mysterious, yet unexplained reason!

HP Recommended

I am having almost the same problem!! I am a student so this is very frustrating.

The only difference is that I live out in the country so I do not have WIFI in my house. So no Comcast/netflix for me. Because of my lack on internet the only time my computer does updates is if I go the the coffee shop, which is not often.

I bought this printer since it was wireless but did NOT need an internet connection. The amount of time I waste trying to get this this working is ridiculous.

I have followed all the steps in the forums with no success.

The Print and Scan Dr. Says there is no problem. It will not print the test page. Only the internal Test Page (I don't even understand what this is)

HP Recommended

Ciara_B - Any other suggestions beyond the link you gave for possible resolution of problem?  That was one of the first things I tried when I kept encountering the problem. The link does not provide a workable solution.  Every time I have this problem arise, it requires me to restart the computer to be able to get the printer to print.  This is not what one would call a successful solution or one that HP should consider an acceptable method for correcting this problem.

HP Recommended

Hello flairhart,

The steps that you have taken, have intrigued me. With finding out that sometimes this issue occurs after streaming with the Chromecast connection. I would suggest following the steps in the document 'Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection'. Especially setting up a static IP address for the printer. What happens as well when you do connect the printer to the router with a straight Ethernet connection? Do you have the same issue?

Hey masaur,

I would like to assist you further, I would suggest need to confirm how you are connecting the printer. What steps are you taking? Are you connecting to the printers network name, as you do not have wireless?

Looking forward to your responses. Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Quite simply, this problem is in the connectivity between Windows and HP communications software. 

When 'printer offline' message occurs turning the printer off and then on generates an interrupt which brings the printer online and printing occurs.  Printing will then work for a small time period and then same problem reoccurs, that is the connection is lost.  I've repeated this scenario until it's just part of my print routine.

I've dealted with this for months and continuously there are these responses to to jump through all kinds of hoops and reinstall with no affect whatsoever on the problem.  I  cannot believe HP's developers are unable able to reproduce 

the failure and locate the problem.

Whatever, just stop posting over and over again to reinstall.   It is, clear and simple, not a fix for most.  Turn the problem over to someone in HP level three support. 

FYI, I am on Windows 8.1 Update.  The problems dates back to Windows 8.0 for me.  However, I've seen posts for the problem on Windows7

ctmsnr
HP Recommended

Lil_Lisa27 -- I apologize for not having responded to your proposed solution months ago.  Went through two surgeries and  it has taken me till now to be able to address this, as I had many other higher priorities to catch up on due to the two surgeries.

As to your query, ethernet connection is not a good option because of router location, which is why I specifically purchased a printer that could operate in home WiFi environment.  I will try the static IP address you suggested only if it doesn't entail a major amount of time to try it and if it doesn't work, having to go back to former, which is continuing to cause me problems.  Also want to know, what do I sacrifice with a static IP address?  Right now, I send items from my iPhone to the printer at times; will a static IP address prevent me from doing that?  I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between present IP address and a static address, and don't like to experiment with things about which I don't have sufficient knowledge, only to find myself in a worse mess.  If you can explain to me the difference and pros/cons of trying the static address instead, so I know what and why I'm trying it, I'll be willing to try it.

HP Recommended

Lil_Lisa27 -- further to my recent reply, was just discussing it with my husband because he's been using this computer far more than I have been in the last six months.  He told me he's ruled out the use of Netflix being the trigger to the printer not printing even though the printer indicates it's online.  It just seems to happen quite frequently, annoying him to no end, because he has to turn off the Dell Laptop and then turn it on again, at which point, the printer begins printing out all of the things he couldn't successfully print out since the last time it failed to print.  Given that new piece of information, it would appear that the problem is more one of a communication problem between the Dell laptop ad the HP printer.  Based on that and all the troubleshooting I did prior to theorizing that it was being brought about each time we used  Netflix (which is no longer among the list of potential causes), what would you now recommend?  Someone I know who is far more tech savvy than I, said that he's hearing about this problem from lots of people who have HP printers set up to operate in a WiFi home network environment and believes it to be an HP printer problem when operating in such an environment, because the computers involved are varied makes and types.  The only constant, he said, is HP printers that are sold as wireless printers.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

If the troubleshooting from Lil_Lisa27 failed to clear up the issue, 'Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection', I would suggest ensuring the printer's firmware is up to date.

Getting the Latest Firmware and Printer Updates<---

If the issue is still present, contacting HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you would be the next best move.

If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here.

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.