Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP A7F64A
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

we have a brand new HP Officejet Pro e All in one.

Can't scan to any kind of thumb drive.  Have tried a variety of thumb drives including the acceptable ones per HP, however, nothing will scan.  Error message: Does not  support this memory device.

please help

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @JC50

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're unable to get a USB flash drive to with your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer. I would be happy to assist you with this.

To help determine if there is a hardware or software problem with the printer, please follow the steps below.

HP OfficeJet Printers - Scanning From the Control Panel (Computer, Email, Memory Device, or Network Folder)
Scan a photo or document and save it on a memory device.
NOTE: See the information below to view the printer specifications page to make sure that your printer supports the memory device that you want to scan to.

Step 1: Load the photo or document
You can scan from the scanner glass or from the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) tray.
  1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
  2. Load the picture or document:
  3. Scanner glass: Place the item with the print side down on the scanner glass, and then position it according to the engraved guides around the glass. Close the scanner lid.
  4. ADF: Place the item into the document feeder tray. The print side faces up and the top edge goes into the tray first. Adjust the width guides to fit the item.
CAUTION: Do not load photos in the ADF. Use the scanner glass instead to prevent damage to photos.

Step 2: Scan the item
  1. Select the memory device, and then scan from the printer control panel.
  2. On the printer control panel, touch the Scan icon ().
  3. Touch Memory device.
  4. Insert the memory device into the printer when prompted.
  5. Review the scan settings, touch the Settings icon to change any settings (if necessary), and then touch Done.
  6. Touch Start Scan to scan the item.
Supported USB flash drives
NOTE: HP has fully tested the following USB flash drives with the printer:
  • SanDisk Cruzer Micro: High-speed, 0120-256, 256 MB
  • Iomega Micro Mini: Full-speed, 064-0417450-YCAE032171, 128 MB
  • Kingston DataTraveler II: High-speed, KF112504 f5274-006, 128 MB and 256 MB
  • Lexar Media JumpDrive: 256 MB
NOTE:You might be able to use other USB flash drives with the printer. However, HP cannot guarantee that they work correctly with the printer because they have not been fully tested.

Click  here to update the printer's firmware. 

If the issue persists, I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
  1. Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
  2. Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector. This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.
  3. Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet (don't use a power bar or a surge protector). This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.
Otherwise, I would restore the printer to factory defaults by performing the Semi-Full Reset. The network would have to be configured again. I can send you that information in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

All you have to do is format the thumb drive to FAT 32 (MS-DOS) and that should work. I couldn't get any thumbdrives to work until I reformatted and that did the trick.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.