cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
basilflynn Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

scanner could not be initialized

I work on a macbook. I own an HP Photosmart C6180 all-in-one. I run Mac OS X 10.5.8. My printer is mounted wirelessly via an Airport Extreme wireless network. My software and drivers are current for all of the above.

When I attempt to scan anything I get:

Error 

Sorry, scanner could not be initialized.

(An error has occurred communicating with the scanner.) 

This includes initiating via the HP software on my laptop and via the scan menu on the C6180.

Suggestions? I have tried removing the HP software entirely, removing the network printer and reinstalling all. 

9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
20467 20434 1425 4854
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Just to be sure, your printer is connected wirelessly, not to the Airport's USB? 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
basilflynn Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, that is correct. The printer connects to airport extreme wirelessly. I also have a PC connected to the airport extreme wirelessly. Using the HP software with the PC, I CAN scan, etc.

Using the Macbook, I CAN print wirelessy, I just can't get the scanner to run.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20467 20434 1425 4854
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You can try to delete and re-add the printer in the print queue:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Select the printer in question and click the minus sign at the bottom of the list
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer with Bonjour next to it, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If this does not work, do the same thing, only instead of the second step, right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System. 

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
fgilley Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

changed to snow leapard and receive error message when i try to scan

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20467 20434 1425 4854
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If you still have HP software for pre-10.6 Snow Leopard, on your Mac you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP

LorenFykes Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you! Your solution worked. I see that you are employed by HP. 

I'll try posting this as a separate issue, but I was shocked to find out that I cannot print unless ALL of the ink cartridges have ink in them DESPITE the fact that I only want to print in black and white. Why is this the case. I went out and bought a huge $50 black ink cartridge only to return home to find out that my printer won't even let me print in black and white only. Someone "mocked" that HP consdiers this a feature. Is this true? How can I turn this "feature" off and print only in B/W, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20467 20434 1425 4854
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Color inkjet printers are designed as that - color printers.  As such, the printer must keep the color nozzles clear and clean in case the next print job comes to it with color content (its just a printer, it does not know any better).

Keeping the nozzles clear and clean uses ink.  Its really the only way to do it.  This uses ink.  If you were allowed  to turn off the color nozzles, they would quickly crust over and not be recoverable.  So, you cannot turn off the color feature of the printer.

If you really want a black only printer, I recommend buying a black only LaserJet.

There is nothing underhaded here, it is not a conspiracy to extract money from you.  Its just physics.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
Cornwall Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have HP 5180 and 8180 scanners both of which can be initialized from my Dell using MS software but niether of which can be initialized from my Mac running OS X 10.8.3    Why?!

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4755 4722 203 621
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cornwall,

I would recommend that you download the driver through Apple Software Update. 

Before we do that, we want to uninstall any incompatible software you may have installed on your computer by running the HP Uninstaller located under Applications > HP or the Hewlett-Packard folder.

After you do that, we will want to download the drivers. The drivers for your product are available through Apple Software Update.

Before you do anything, temporarily unplug the printer's USB cord from either the printer or the computer. Next, check for any available HP Update's by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update.

If any update could not be retrieved, download the full HP Printer Drivers v.2.14 from Apple:

Once you have completed the installation you will want to plug your printer back in. After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. Select it. If underneath the printer you see "Use:”.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. Click Add down in the bottom right hand corner.

Best of luck,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation