cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
14 10 1 4
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

there is a problem with the printer

HP Recommended
hp Officejet 5740
Windows 8.1

Every day the printer comes on (out of sleep) and displays "there is a problem with the printer. Turn the printer off then on. ", why is this happening every day??

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 1
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure that you are up to date with the latest firmware.

In addition, make sure that you have a steady supply of power.  If you are plugged into a power strip with other devices, this may affect the power the printer is getting.

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
33 33 1 5
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a link that describes how to enable and check your printer firmware:

HP ENVY 5640, 5660, 7640 and Officejet 5740, 8040 e-All-in-One Printer Series - Getting the Latest F...

I work for HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 10 1 4
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for your responses, the printer has a steady power supply, no power strips, is connected to the wifi, and there are no updates, it is on auto update.  If this happens again tomorrow it will escalate to very annoying  🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 651
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wondering is this now resolved?, or did you call Support for a replacement?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 10 1 4
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This problem got resolved, eventually. Although hp tech sent me to HPInstant Ink and they "reset" my printer, the error message returned in a couple of days, and continued daily. Another call to Tech Support/InstantInk advised me to return the printer for an exchange (it is 60 miles one way to return). We decided to install the Instant Ink cartridges as a last ditch effort to resolve the error messages, and it worked. No error messages. I have put the original ink cartridges back in the printer so I could use those up. Still no error messages and this printer is now working fine. PERSONAL OPINION: When we enrolled in instantink, hp tried to contact our printer via wireless (whatever) and when it was unable to an error message occurred EVERYDAY, after installing the instant ink cartridges a connection was made to hpinstantink completing the enrollment process.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation