Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 500 color MFP M570
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am having issues with my HP LaserJet 500 color MFP M570 PCL 6, error reporting "unexpected paper size in tray 2".  My coworker and I are using the same printer and she is not having this problem, even when printing the exact same document in Word. Tray 2 is setup for A4 in the configuration menu, on the printer paper setup. The document in Word is setup for A4. When printing (print preview) it is set to A4.

I have reinstalled Word and that didn't fix it.  I have reinstalled the HP software on my computer and that didn't fix it.  I tried the restore setting to an earlier date on Windows, which fixed the "tray two" problem but it then took five minutes, after sending from my computer, for the printer to print one page.  I updated the HP Software and now I have the same "tray 2" problem again. Please help!

Regards,

Ryan 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@cuellorojo 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with our HP Laserjet 500. Apparently its super Sensitive when it comes to page sizes. I have to set every thing to A4 from the printer properties, printer preference and Page layout of the word or excel, to work fine. But other software like outlook, internet explorer or chrome, acrobat reader, etc.. takes so much time in printing multiple pages, its like printing it one by one per page, not like the usual per batch or per document. Is there a way just to ignore the page size and just print it what ever paper is available? Unlike the HP Laserjet 400 it just accepts anything. no hassles and worries.

HP Recommended

OK guys,

You may need to change the tray settings "DIRECTLY INTO THE PRINTER" either through your menu screen under device settings or something or you can do it online through your I.P. address such as 192.168.1.80 (The 80 is the address of the printer in question - you need to know that number.

Once the screen comes up, go to "Settings" tab then click on the "Paper Handling" tab.  You will see all the trays that has been assigned to the printer in question.

Click on the tray (1,2,3) "Size" tab and select the size/name (Everyone who has created a special size from their workstaion and saved it will be found by the printer so don't be surprised if you see a prinset called (example) PostCards with a size 4X6 and another called FourBySix with the same dimensions.

Click on the tray (1,2,3) Type respectively and select type of paper that best describe the weight and type of paper such as cardstock or glossy card for index card etc...

Click on "apply" then the next step is the most important of this process.

POWER THE PRINTER OFF FOR ABOUT 8 - 10 SECONDS THEN POWER IT BACK ON!  

This is the step that trip a lot of people up because they see the change when they display the properties but they don't realize that the printer can only accept the changes once it has be cycled through because if the printer is a network printer in another room, the person making the change may not know or care that the printer is in use at the time so the printers are smart enough to not accept any new changes until the printer has been cycled down.

I trust this will help you guys out.

Happy New Year (2016)

HP Recommended

Its quiet easy and simple .

just GOTO settings > printer properties of your printer > preferences>paper quality >change the paper to A4 size .

and restart the printer.

Give any print see difference

The error will fix

HP Recommended

Hello Dear
I am Also Having same problem with HP LASER 400 Series Printer.
Did you find any solution  ??
Please Help 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this solution, it solved my dilemma! I was tearing my hair out over this--I never had to

@PrinterMan2 wrote:

OK guys,

You may need to change the tray settings "DIRECTLY INTO THE PRINTER" either through your menu screen under device settings or something or you can do it online through your I.P. address such as 192.168.1.80 (The 80 is the address of the printer in question - you need to know that number.

Once the screen comes up, go to "Settings" tab then click on the "Paper Handling" tab.  You will see all the trays that has been assigned to the printer in question.

Click on the tray (1,2,3) "Size" tab and select the size/name (Everyone who has created a special size from their workstaion and saved it will be found by the printer so don't be surprised if you see a prinset called (example) PostCards with a size 4X6 and another called FourBySix with the same dimensions.

Click on the tray (1,2,3) Type respectively and select type of paper that best describe the weight and type of paper such as cardstock or glossy card for index card etc...

Click on "apply" then the next step is the most important of this process.

POWER THE PRINTER OFF FOR ABOUT 8 - 10 SECONDS THEN POWER IT BACK ON!  

This is the step that trip a lot of people up because they see the change when they display the properties but they don't realize that the printer can only accept the changes once it has be cycled through because if the printer is a network printer in another room, the person making the change may not know or care that the printer is in use at the time so the printers are smart enough to not accept any new changes until the printer has been cycled down.

I trust this will help you guys out.

Happy New Year (2016)

manually change settings before (using slightly older version of Acrobat), but am glad this workaround is available!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.