cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rick25890 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

using my new officejet pro 8600 printer, i get a warning stating "paper too short to auto-duplex

Anyone know how to resolve this "paper too short ot Auto-Duplex" warning that appears each time I print a document?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
842 741 54 336
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

using my new officejet pro 8600 printer, i get a warning stating "paper too short to auto-duplex

We come across similar issue but with the Tray 2. Could you confirm the configuration on what paper you placed in printer and what doucment you tried to print and what settings you selected from print driver.

Correct, tray 2 is for plain paper only (sizes listed below).

The following configurations are the two I have seen most often:

User a) Tray 1 has letter, Tray 2 has legal

User b) Tray 2 has letter, Tray 1 has letter or [insert specialty media here]

So with that mindset, you could reverse you setup to where Tray 2 has Letter, and tray one has envlopes (up to 30 loaded at one time as per the specifications doc: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02858465

According to this same specifications document, it lists the supported sizes for Tray 2 (Letter, Legal, and A4) - see image (excerpt) below:

Paper.JPG

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

0 Kudos
msanghadia Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the 6500 model and I have exactly the same problem that started up for no apparent reason.  I DO NOT have two trays--there is just one, and I am only using letter sized paper.  Cannot make heads or tails of this error message that is quite annoying as I have to "OK" it each time I am printing something.  Please help.

0 Kudos
RLyons Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Officejet Pro 8600 - any help out there?

0 Kudos
Discoverer Tutor
Tutor
4 4 0 3
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try performing power cycle (turn the printer off, wait for 30 secs and then turn it back ON) then try printing

PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
842 741 54 336
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Our investigation shows that, the issue is with the firmware. Please get the latest firmware for your printer.

or you can turn on the firmware update from the printer (Eprint button on top->web services settings->Printer update-> turn on autoupdate)

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Richsl Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seems to have fixed the problem; thanks!
0 Kudos
lanorvell Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rebooting the printer worked for me - this time.  What concerns me is this is a brand new printer - have had it less than 2 weeks and am getting these wierd error situations. What caused this message to suddenly appear??   My last HP 7500 (I think) had all kinds of issues so am not holding a lot of hope that this one will be better.

0 Kudos
ILTAdmin Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We just power-cycled ours and that removed the error, I assume temporarily. I was trying to figure out how to print a report to see what the version of firmware was, but can't seem to get that. I tried printing a report from the reports menu, but it just tells me the printer is out of paper (it is not). No amount of moving around the paper guides in the tray changes that. The printer prints fine from any application, does not give an incorrect out of paper message, only when we try to print a report directly from the display on the printer. How do you you fix THAT? Is there any other way to determine the firmware loaded on the printer? This is a USB connected device.
0 Kudos
cakesRme Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Definitely first try the solution that was given to reboot printer by powering off, waiting 30 seconds, then powering on.  It worked for me, and is the best thing to try before attempting other things. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation