Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
office jet 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

error message when scaning from printer screen,  scans just fine when using solution center,

Adobe acrobat reader ant open scan becauseit is not a supported file typ or because the file has  been damaged (for eample if was sent as an emil attchment and was not properly decoded).

i have windows 10 64 bit

i have reloaded all software and drivers.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @jsn

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to open the scanned files.

I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

When was the last time the printer was working fine?

Are you scanning documents to PDF?

What software are you using to open the scanning documents?

Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to use Adobe reader to open the PDF files and check if it helps. Here is how it is done.

1. Right-click the PDF, and then choose Open With > Choose default program (or "Choose another app" in Windows 10).
  2. Choose Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat in the list of programs, and then do the following: ...
  3. Click OK.

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem has been for several months.

i am scaning as pdf and opening with adobe  reader.  i have tried to open with accrobat

i have deleated and installed all software.

The scaning function worked several months ago

i know the scaner is talking to the computer because the scan file is showing that a scan was sent but has 0 KB

HP Recommended

Hi @jsn

I recommend you to scan and save the scan as JPEG and check?

I would also like to know whether you are able to make a copy?

Let me know.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

JPEG also does not open.

HP Recommended

copy works

HP Recommended

Hi @jsn

I am sending you a private message with instructions. Please perform the steps to reset the printer.

Keep me posted how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

please try to send private message again. i have not received it.

you may want to use jneimand@optonline.net

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @jsn

I have sent the private message again. Please perform the steps to reset the printer.

Keep me posted how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @jsn

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get it touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Enter Product number or select to auto detects
Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.