Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Where can I find the WPS Pin on my printer? HP officejet 5740? Having problems connecting printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Here is your answer. The WPS pin is located on a label on your router. Otherwise you will have to access your routers admin pages and look to find the WPS pin there.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @televor,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Hope you are having a good day 🙂

To make it a bit better, I'll do my best to help you get that printer connected wirelessly!

There's a slightly easier method of connecting the printer to your wireless network that I'd like you to try. If you go to the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer (as explained at the bottom of Page 82 in the User Guide) and that will connect the printer to your wireless network a little easier.

Please let me know how that goes for you and if I can help any further!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Is there any reason you cannot answer the question asked? Giving an alternate solution doesn't help someone that wanted this solution So seriously, please answer the question asked.

HP Recommended

Having the same problem with the same printer...

HP Recommended
Here is your answer. The WPS pin is located on a label on your router. Otherwise you will have to access your routers admin pages and look to find the WPS pin there.
HP Recommended

I changed from ATT  to Comcast . Now i can not set my HP Officejet 5742 up. I need the WPS Pin.

HP Recommended
Just read above.
HP Recommended

I have a HP5745 and the WPS pin that members in this forum have asked for relates to the 'direct connect' feature of the printer.  The 'direct connect' printer option appears when adding a printer in Windows, often along with a printer option that connects to a router.   The 'direct connect' printer option begins with 'DIRECT-' w/o the quotes and is used to directly connect to the printer from the pc w/o going thru a router.

If the 'direct connect' printer option is selected it will require a pin (WPS pin) that can be found displayed on the screen of the printer.  That is the WPS pin involved with this issue.  HP's verbiage is incorrect and misleading and the pin cannot be found on the printer chassis or in the documentation.

If connecting to the printer thru the router is required, then the WPS function of the router is appropriate.  The WPS pin for the router can be found on its webpage (i.e. 192.168.1.1); that security feature  involves  a very different message.  Also one can establish a permanent IP addr on the printer (manual IP) and then use Windows 'add printer' thru use of the IP addr.  There are other ways

I use Win 10 and its relationship with the HP printer is not seamless.

HP Recommended

Tap the wi-fi signal icon once

At the bottom-left  of the 'Wireless Summary' screen, tap the cog once

Tap 'Wireless Settings' once

Tap 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup' once

Tap 'Yes' if warning screen that connection already exists appears

Tap Pin

Retrieve PIN

Easy huh?

HP Recommended

Thank you...thank you...thank you. You sure made it easy.  I was starting to pull hair out of my already bald head. gain I thank you.

ricke5y

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.