Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4502
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a acer computer.  when selection a printer to connnect on line, it asks for a security key.  I can print from my iphone  but not from my computer.  Printer "Q" shows "offline"

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey @Keith39

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're being prompted for a 'security key' when attempting to connect your HP ENVY 4502 e-All-in-One Printer to PC.  I would like to assist you with this.

The mention of a password prompt suggests to me that you've enabled wireless direct on the printer and your computer is looking for the wireless direct password.  While I do have some suggestions in mind for how to setup your printer to work with the PC, let's focus on your network setup first: 

• If you don't have a wireless network to connect to, you can certainly using your printer via wireless direct. To keep using this feature, touch the arrow icon on your printer and select the Wireless Direct menu entry
  • Ensure the feature's turned on.  
  • Select Display Password to obtain the security key your computer was prompting you for. 
  • If you do not wish to use Wireless Direct as you have a wireless network, turn Wireless Direct off.  

• To enable wireless on your printer, select Wireless and run the wireless setup wizard. 
  • Select your network name (SSID) and enter in your wireless password. 

Next, to install your printer on the PC, click here.  (Be sure to select the appropriate Windows version).  If you have any trouble with your printer setup you can use the same link to install the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows.  This utility's designed to automatically detect and correct common setup issues.  

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to say "You rock!" by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!  :robotvery-happy:

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
I have an HP Truevision HD. It keep asking me to enter the network security key. It never ask me that before. What and were is that located ?
HP Recommended

The network security key is your SSID password for your router of which only you know.   It is the same as you use to connect your computer to your network.   If you don't know this you will have to access your routers admin pages and look it up under the wireless tab.

HP Recommended
I don't have a router I use the internet sharing from my phone.
HP Recommended

OK, model number of the HP printer you are trying to connect to??

HP Recommended

Thank you! Kudos!

HP Recommended

I want to thank Sabretooth04 as the only one gave me the correct reply to my inquiry
bless you

HP Recommended

I cannot sync my HP printer with my new HP pavilion.  I need to know where to find the security code it is asking for

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.