Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 10 (16,569 Views)

win 7 Wireless internet connection HP 2600N Color Laser hardwired to router

Hello Anybody have a idea on how to get around - I have installed Windows 7 with a Wireless NIC can connect to internet.

It will not let me find my HP 2600N Color Laser Printer - The Software EZinstall I D\L from HP hangs.

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 10 (16,450 Views)

Re: win 7 Wireless internet connection HP 2600N Color Laser hardwired to router

Hi!

I have the same Problem here!

Anyone help please Smiley Happy

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (16,197 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi. I was trying to setup my HP Colour Laser 2600n under Windows 7 and it too failed using the EZ Installer package.

I found a workaround.  

First download the driver package from HP:

HP Color LaserJet 2600n Print Driver Package

Install it.

Update the driver manually through the "Devices and Printers" control panel:

You should see the HP 2600n there (however not active).

Right click the icon and then select the HP 2600n then click the "Change Settings" button.

Then click Driver tab and click Update Driver button.

When asked, choose to browse computer for required driver.

Then point to the C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard folder.

That's it.  The driver will install and you will have print functionality!   Worked for me.

Hope I got the steps right.   Well you get the drift anyway.

Message Edited by byter on 04-17-2009 04:46 AM
Student
Message 4 of 10 (13,582 Views)

I want to know why HP is not releasing network based drivers for a printer that has a built in print server?!? Why is there only a USB driver?

I tried installing the printer as a USB and then changing the port under Windows 7 Pro 32bit and it wouldn't print. The 64bit just crashed during an attempt to install. I think this is really sloppy support from HP. They supported Vista but I fail to understand why their Windows 7 support is so lacking.

Student
Message 5 of 10 (13,535 Views)

HELLO,  I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.  YOU WOULD THINK HP WOULD HAVE AN AMSWER BY NOW, AND YOU WOULD NOT

HAVE TO FIND A ROUND ABOUT WAY. 

I JUST PURCHASED A NEW hp Photosmart all-in-one wireless c4780 printer have tried  all suggestions.

Hopefully someone can answer our questions.

Take care.

Student
Message 6 of 10 (11,611 Views)

I have downloaded the driver from HP but it does not show when I go to printers, I then connected using the USB and it says I do not have the driver but when I then go back to HP website to download it I am told I already have it????

Very frustrating!!

Honor Student
Message 7 of 10 (11,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

I solved the problem for myself, I hope this works for others.

I recently purchased a Dell Studio with Windows 7 64bit.

I used the installation CD for the hp2600n to install the printer.  I installed it as a network printer, and the set-up discovered the printer on my network, but I was not able to print.  I attempted to reinstall from the CD.  Setup crashed.  I tried again, it crashed again.

I downloaded the win 7 64bit drivers from hp and installed.  When prompted, I attached the printer, using the USB cable.

Then I opened devices and printers.  The 2600n was listed.  I right clicked on the 2600n, opened printer properties, and selected the ports tab.  There was the usb connection as well as three standard tcp/ip connections (the second and third had copy 1 and copy 2 in parenthesis after the printer name).  I selected the first standard tcp/ip.

I detached the USB and reattached the network cable from the router to the hp2600n.  The printer now prints from my win 7 laptop.

Hope it works for you.

Student
Message 8 of 10 (11,046 Views)

I think I found an even easier way to do it.   I tried to find the printer via Win 7 add printer and called it a network attached printer.  When it couldn't find it, I turned it off, plugged in the usb cable, while still leaving the TCP/IP cable attached.

I fired up the printer, and win 7 immediately found it.  I opened properties window and went to the ports.  Changed the port to the TCP/IP one, and then clicked ok and got all the way out. 

Turned off the printer, disconnected the usb cable, and turned it back on.  Printed a test page with no issues.  The only thing I don't have is the 2600 Toolkit, but I've got that on 5 other PCs on the network, so I think I am covered

I sent an email to HP asking how to do it, so I'll update this after I hear back from them.

Student
Message 9 of 10 (10,932 Views)

THIS WORKS -: win 7 Wireless internet connection HP 2600N Color Laser hardwired to router

If you're having the same problem the rest of us have been having - TRY THIS!  IT WORKS!!

THANKS SRWOOLC

I tried this method and it worked in minutes.  No fuss, just follow the directions in the post and it worked the first time.

Craig Bryant

I think I found an even easier way to do it.   I tried to find the printer via Win 7 add printer and called it a network attached printer.  When it couldn't find it, I turned it off, plugged in the usb cable, while still leaving the TCP/IP cable attached.

I fired up the printer, and win 7 immediately found it.  I opened properties window and went to the ports.  Changed the port to the TCP/IP one  CB [ just check the tcp/ip box for that port ], and then clicked ok and got all the way out. 

Turned off the printer, disconnected the usb cable, and turned it back on.  Printed a test page with no issues.  The only thing I don't have is the 2600 Toolkit, but I've got that on 5 other PC's on the network, so I think I am covered

I sent an email to HP asking how to do it, so I'll update this after I hear back from them.

Student
Message 10 of 10 (8,546 Views)

You are so right, so many people having the same problem and this should have been a quck fix, I guess HP wants us to buy another printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation