Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi - I'm stratching my head trying to figure this one out, and am hoping that someone here may have run into the same problem.

Printer is X476DW updated with the latest s/w and firmware, restored to factory defaults, connected to the network via an ethernet cable. Computer is Win7 64bit.

Issue started a couple of weeks ago where the output bin door would stay open and the following error message would be displayed on the screen of the printer:

"Clear output tray area"

Remove paper and other material from the output bin and output door area. Make sure the output door can open. Once done, touch OK.

This would be Ok except that there is no paper in the tray, door, feeder etc that is stuck and the output door can open, as it opens at the start of a print job without issue, but then 5 secs or so later, this error message pops up, and the print job goes into error state.

If you muscle the door closed, and click the "OK" button on the printer screen the print job will complete most times, but this is very annoying as it thinks there is something there blocking the output door, but there isn't as the door opens without issue.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the printer in Control Panel, pulling the power plug from the printer for 10secs to dump its memory contents, restoring to factory defaults on the printer, and ensuring the FW and s/w are updated on the printer and computer.

I am running out of options to figure out why it thinks there is paper or other material in the door and bin area.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the only printer in the office and is heavily used during the day.

Thanks!

Darryl

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I just bought the printer couple of days ago and receiveing same message to clear paper output area and the funny thing is that there isn't a single sheet of paper there. Then I have to wait and retry quite a few times for it to work.

Total pages printed 286

HP Recommended

I have been having the same issue for two weeks.  Had copier at repair shop (yes, of course, it is out of warranty) and they said it worked fine there.  Removed printer and re-downloaded the driver.  Tried printing from other computers on network, nothing.  Tried unplugging over the weekend, nada.  Would love someone to figure this out! 🙂

HP Recommended
So the problem remained there. I have check it out and it's like have to change the the part
HP Recommended

Hello Sir,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that x476dw clear output bin stuck in an error loop. I am happy to look into this issue for you! 

During a print job, the printer stops feeding pages, and a Paper Jam error message displays on the printer control panel.

This document contains several troubleshooting methods for clearing a paper jam and is intended for use by call center agents to assist customers in resolving the jam.

Always verify that the customer has set the tray guides properly in both directions for all trays, as well as the ADF on multi-function models.
To view a video with steps on how to set the tray guides when loading paper or envelopes, click the link below:
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

The repair shop tech stopped out to see it in (non) action here at office.  He took panels off and cleaned everything and put some special lubrication (for printers, etc) and it worked!  Has been working since.  

HP Recommended

Well, I spoke too soon.  Just today, it started again.  Same thing as before.  I send something to print and the door opens, then gives me the message to clear the output paper jam.  AAAAAA!  It looks as if I will have to get a new printer now.  Really makes me mad when this printer isn't that old, and I really loved it.  

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I think you are not getting the question I have raised. It's not a paper jam at all. The problem here is that the lid of the output tray stuck and doesn't open at full and then it displays the message that the output tray is full and needs to be empty; where there is not a single sheet of paper on the output tray.

I hope you may find some solution for it.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Remove the Output Bin. That fixed my problem.

Here is a video showing how:

http://www8.hp.com/h20621/video/us/en/customer-care/REFIDWDN932568a0-ba48-4805-b594-c875542291fd/rep...

HP Recommended

Old thread byt same problem on an X451dw.

The video link in Hbay's post doesn't work any more.

I've not opened it up yet, but this seems to be due to a microswitch on the arm that pushes the door open.

If I wiggle the arm I hear the switch clicking, then press OK on the panel and the print arrives.

I'm off to look for solutions online now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.