cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: "HPxxxxx.framework" will damage your computer" message in macOS Catalina or Mojave .
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

2540 loses connection on usb

HP Recommended
Hp 2540 printer
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
This printer is connected by usb directly to my mac.
Almost every time I want to print or scan I have to reboot the printer and sometimes the mac. I have tried the 2017 hp software with same result.
How do I fix this?
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,692 7,685 427 599
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sitges46,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer wherein it loses connection to the computer via USB cable.

I suggest that you reset the printing system from the link: Resetting the Printing System (Mac)

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you for the reply. I have tried that a number of times and still the same problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,692 7,685 427 599
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sitges46,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

I suggest that you update the firmware from the link: Firmware Update

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have downloaded the firmware and tried it. It tells me there is an error.
I go to mac preferences and the printer button is green on idle. I can even print.
I have tried reinitiating everything and still get the error although I can print.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,692 7,685 427 599
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sitges46,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved after following the steps mentioned in the previous interaction.

This issue may require a one to one interaction over the phone.

Hence, you may contact HP Technical Phone Support at this link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

Select the country where you are located and type the product# or the serial number of the unit and then choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information. Click on 'Show Options' icon and then scroll down the page and select 'Get Phone Number' to get the phone number.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I finally managed to eliminate the errors which prevented me from upgrading the firmware.
Sadly even with the new fireware the problem continues.
Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,299 2,042
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @sitges46, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing using USB connection on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Have you tried checking using a different USB cable?

Try connecting the printer to a different USB port and check if the issue persists.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Search Windows for device manager, and then click Device Manager in the list of results.
Click the Right arrow  next to the following entries to expand them, and then look for your printer in each list:
Printers
Print queues
Universal Serial Bus controllers
Other devices
If you see a yellow exclamation mark next to your printer or the phrase Unknown device, continue with the next step.
If you do not see your printer or a yellow exclamation mark in the list, skip to the next step to uninstall the driver.
Right-click the HP device/Unknown device entry or the entry with the symbol, and then click Update Driver Software. The Update Driver Software - Unknown Device wizard opens.
Click Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the on-screen instructions to refresh the device manager.
Repeat these steps for all device entries with the symbol.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot USB connection issues with your printer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation