Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Desktop 2700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First it was saying it was offline, even though the wireless button on the printer itself shows it's not, and HP Smart said it was perfectly connected. 

Then I found out I was logged out of my HP account on HP smart, so I logged back in. Still nothing. Then it told me my printer wasn't downloaded on this computer even though I did it the day I got it over a week ago and was printing fine THREE days ago. 

I re-downloaded the driver. I restarted my computer. I unplugged and replugged the printer several times. HP smart says there's nothing wrong with it, there's ink in it, it's connected and ready to go. 

It no longer says it's offline, it just won't print. The printer likes to make some noise when I try to print, but does nothing beyond that. When I look into activity it just says there was an error. 

This is the worst experience I've ever had with a printer in the over a decade of me using them, and I can't believe the audacity HP has in selling these pieces of absolute garbage for more than $30. I have been at the computer for over an hour trying to get two pieces of paper to print. An hour to do something that should take a few clicks. 

Edit: the only other hint im getting is that the power button flashes when I try to print and it makes the bit of noise. There are no jams in the printer, I took out the ink cartridges and put them back in. Aaand now I'm getting a 'we're having trouble reaching your printer' error on HP smart, this is insane. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@kuso

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand that your HP printer is not working correctly, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Are you able to make copies from the printer?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps:  

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, follow the next steps. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP DeskJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It didn't start after a windows update, and I can't do anything with it. 

I did what you suggested and just like the first time had an awful time trying to set up the thing. HP Smart recognizes it's there and says its online, it says that it's not fully installed. 

I finally managed to download the HP Easy thing that has the drivers, took the half hour to get everything downloaded, made sure to click that i was downloading the drivers, gave my country and postal code, it told me that everything was properly connected and installed...and HP smart is still saying that it's not fully installed! 

This is insanely frustrating! I can't even install anything via the 'install printer' option on HP Smart because despite the 'this will take a couple minutes' message it just gets stuck on there no matter how long I leave it. 

HP Recommended

So it finally got past the promise of two minutes waiting screen to tell me there was an error and to manually add it through the add a printer section. 

Did that, it says that this printer has no driver available...even though I thought that was literally what I spent the last half hour downloading. So I tried another HP Easy Scan download that had me connect directly to the network by printing out my network information and that FINALLY had it working again. 

HP Recommended

@kuso

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 👍

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nevermind, I tried to print tonight and we're right back at 'printer isn't fully installed' 🙂 Is this going to happen everytime I try to print now!? 

I so far have tried: rebooting computer, unplugging printer normally and like you suggested, removing all the programs/drivers and redownloading them like you suggested, going into windows update and updating the HP option I saw there, downloading both versions of HP Easy Scan, downloading both versions of the HP universal driver (this one in particular outright tells me it's installing the printer, yet apparently it isn't!), manually doing it through the HP Smart option (gives me an error and tells me to add it through devices and printers, I did that and on that window it says there's no driver available). 

And when I downloaded the HP universal driver, HP smart told me that it was installed and ready to go. NOPE still getting the 'this isn't fully installed' error. 

I'm genuinely astounded by how bad this is. 

Edit : it stopped giving me that error, and now just refuses to print again, making some noise but doing nothing other than giving me a vague error. 

Edit 2: so for the third time in a row I had to struggle with this printer for over an half hour to get it to print a single page. For whatever reason HP Smart keeps changing how it's layout looks when you print? Sometimes it'll print right on the actual program (where it finally worked) and more often, for whatever reason, it'll open up my computer's printing app?? 

HP Recommended

@kuso

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's still working very sporadically and I'm still plagued with the 'your printer isn't fully installed' error. 

Is there any quick way to get to an actual human to contact instead of having to navigate through a bunch of links in the support section? 

HP Recommended

@kuso

I appreciate your efforts! 

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.