Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide Pro 477dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

After the recent firmware update (MAVEDWPP1N001.2127A.00) all text prints are just frames or question marks. Even with the most basic fonts. 

Pictures and screenshots prints fine.

20210803_110532.jpeg

I Have done a complete factory reset. I have reinstalled the drivers on the computers. I have the same problem on Catalina and Big sur computers

I hope someone can help me. 

I have called HPsupport  but they have not gotten back to me yet.

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem today, specific to Microsoft Word.  I can print other papers completely fine.

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same thing, and it is predominantly with Microsoft Word, though some PDF's (generated out of Microsoft Word) seem to be doing the same thing. 

HP Recommended

I just spoke to someone at HP support (on the phone) and he told me that the problem is actually on Apple's end, in that they essentially block the firmware update which is why it is printing the way it is. He said Apple are working on it in the background as we speak so hopefully will be resolved soon...

I just tested exporting the file to be a PDF rather than a word document which did work, so hopefully that is a short term solution.

HP Recommended

Are you still experiencing the problem? I am in the same situation, and converting it to pdf is not working for me. 

Regards

HP Recommended

How do you resolve the issue? I am having the same problem 

HP Recommended

It goes wrong when you try to print true AirPrint if u use the HP software itself as PPD then it is working. Problem is only you can't download the old pod files anymore, because all goes to the "smart" HP software, Where can i Download the "old" drivers ?

I succesvolle installed the old PPD files i had on a other computer that works ! But i don't ave a installer to install the full suit of the software. So the icon is now missing and some messages about not complete software is installed.

HP Recommended

I have connected via IP address and chosen the Generic printer. 

This can get us printing again

BUT it is not a viable solution... We can still not scan to email, or anything else.

I have now ordered printers from another brand, so we can get to work again.

HP Recommended

Any update on this??? Im having same problem and I really need to print!

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem printing from Word to the 477dw.  Problem appeared overnight with no configuration changes.  Can print the same document(s) from the same machine with the same software to my other HP printers with no problems.  Can print PDFs and web pages with no problems.  Hard to believe it's an Apple or Microsoft problem since I can print to every other device normally.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.