Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I took advice from another post. Reloaded the printer as a Generic PCL. Works ok now, not perfect but the documents mostly print ok.

Sounds like HP need to get a proper fix for this though.

HP Recommended

We have seen this issue of garbled text specifically with our iOS devices (iPhones and iPads).  

Seems to have started maybe 2 firmware updates ago.  

During testing, one problematic printer is on MAVEDWPP1N001.2132A.00 and AirPrinting from iOS/iPadOS results in garbled printing.

Pulled out a “spare” HP477dw, “fresh-out-of-box” (purchased around the same time as problematic unit) and made sure firmware updates were NOT applied.  This one is running out-of-box firmware MAVEDWPP1N001.1921E.00 and with the same iPad, I do NOT see any garbled printing.  This looks to be an HP issue and specifically tied to something that was changed in firmware.

I know the revision notes for the 2132A.00 mentioned something about resolving overlapping (garbled printing) with Excel, however the issue is still there.   Our deployment is largely iOS/iPadOS so the Mac OS X workarounds basically do nothing for us. 

Would appreciate if HP would clarify/acknowledge the issue. 

In addition to this, is there even a way to report issues with firmware?

EDIT: Or is there any possible way of reverting firmware?

HP Recommended

I think your assessment is spot on.  This is definitely an HP problem and no one from HP seems to be working on solving it or even acknowledging that it exists.  I don't think they even monitor these forums, even though their logo is prominently displayed at the top of the page.  You are correct in saying that none of the workarounds (including the one I posted) will work with iOS devices since they are bound into the AirPrint modality, whereas even Macs have the ability to specify the type of print connection to use (thus selecting the Generic Postscript Printer works for Macs).  I truly wish someone from HP would at least acknowledge that this is a problem and that they're working on a solution.

HP Recommended

Rolling back the firmware to the version below appears to have worked.  I got the file from the Pagewide Support unit of HP. They so know there's an issue, but they're not leading onto whether an update is imminent, so if you want to get yourpriter working again with Office and MACOS, I suggest you downgrade to this firmware. Good luck

Firmware Version MAHDWOPP1N001.2105D.00 Built Date 2021-01-29

HP Recommended

Hi,

How do I get Firmware Version MAHDWOPP1N001.2105D.00 Built Date 2021-01-29?

Thank you 

HP Recommended

I got the old firmware from an HP support rep, who, instead of simply directing me to a site to download it, insisted on downloading it herself during a screen share.  I had to place the file on a clean thumb drive (hard to find one of those in 2021) and flash downgrade the printer using a few secret/unpublished commands involving holding down the power key and selecting a combination of the back>home>back>home until you get a menu where you can flash downgrade the beast.  It will have to suffice until HP steps up with new firmware.

HP Recommended

That worked for me! Thanks!

HP Recommended

I'm still having the same problem.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

This has been going on for 2 months now and still no resolution from HP.    So much for their "upgrade" firmware. 

HP Recommended

I removed the printer from my print devices, then reinstalled it.  When you reinstall, a dialogue box pops up with choice of drivers.  I didn't use the apple Airprint driver but chose the HP driver.  Everything seems to be working fine now.  It definitely started after I did a firmware update.  Very annoying, and it appears to be a problem with the interface between HP and Apple products.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.