Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

It is amazing how they do not in anyway adress this!!!!! I had to buy all new printers from another firm to just get the company working again! Simply not good enough!!!!!!!!!!

I would have more respect from them if they just went out and said "Listen we screwed up.. sorry! We are working hard to find a solution.." Silence is just so infuriating!!!!

HP Recommended

@Byskov wrote:

It is amazing how they do not in anyway adress this!!!!! I had to buy all new printers from another firm to just get the company working again! Simply not good enough!!!!!!!!!!

I would have more respect from them if they just went out and said "Listen we screwed up.. sorry! We are working hard to find a solution.." Silence is just so infuriating!!!!

Can you confirm that you're not using Airprint?

HP Recommended

We need a firmware downgrade. Or that HP fixes the issue and updates the firmware. 

HP Recommended

A firmware downgrade is fairly easy to do. First disable automatic updates.  If you have the older easy update utility, open the file with 7zip or similar archiving software and extract the .ful2 file from it. If you don't have it you may have to scour the internet or post back, I may be able to locate it.  Place that file on a USB stick and then insert in the usb port on the printer. The printer will open the usb menu with the option to upgrade firmware. Press the icon for firmware update. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

a link to the old FW would be very much appreciated. Thank you! 

HP Recommended

I'm also experiencing this problem with a 477 pro dw printer bought (and automatically updated to the latest firmware) about a month ago.

I would appreciate a link to the previous working firmware since I couldn't find it on the internet. Thank you!

HP Recommended

After a long and not very friendly phone call with HP's support they accepted to send me the previous version of the printer's firmware:

MAHDWOPP1N001.2105D.00

Edit: I had shared the file via Dropbox but a moderator has removed the link. HP, I fully understand your concerns regarding content uploaded by users. I really do. But I think that you could easily prevent this practice by either fixing the problem quickly or providing an official link yourselves. This problem has been there for months. If we, users, have a problem that is making us lose time, money, reputation, prestige... expect us to do anything to help others in this very same situation.

I copied this file to a FAT 32 formatted USB stick, inserted it into the USB port placed near the printer's touch screen, went to the printer's menu -> maintenance or something like that -> firmware update and the "downgrading" process started.

I can now print again from apple devices and everything else seem to be working correctly. No more squares.

HP Recommended

My support experience was via HP Chat.  What wasn’t too spectacular was that our 15 printers are outside of factory warranty, with no extended support contract, so this probably affected the tone/nature of the response.  After “checking with his supervisor” two times, the support tech ended up offering a link without forcing the issue of paying for the support session.

I do not believe an active support contract should be required for this situation as the older firmware should be made widely available for download (without having to jump through hoops to get support to provide a link).  There is NO official warning that this is a “known” issue, how is the average person supposed to know to skip this/these update(s) due to issues with AirPrint?  Why would I have to pay extra to regain functionality removed by applying a HP recommended security and bug fix orientated update?

HP please rethink your policy/workflow!  If left unchanged, this leaves a very bad taste, which I’m sure will end up translating to people becoming more willing to try a product from a competitor in the next purchasing cycle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.