cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
14 10 1 4
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post

5740 photo paper tray

HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I try to install (generic) photo paper into the photo tray and it will not fit. The size is 4x6 (no cm) it appears the paper is just that much too wide and will not seat properly in the tray, it is too tight and will not feed.  this paper is 4x6 exactly, but appears to be "10.1" cm. My only solution is to use the main tray for this brand of paper. Does this photo paper tray not adjust even a centimeter?? 

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am having a similar problem with my Envy and the HP 4x6 photo paper that came with it. It will not print to it. I hope you get an answer, because I bought the Envy specifically for printing my photos.
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @thuck,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with loading and printing 4 x 6 in photo paper on your HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer.

Please follow the steps below to properly load photo paper in your photo tray.

1. Grasp the handle on the input tray, and then pull the tray toward you to open it. The Close Tray screen displays on the printer control panel with the message, 'A paper tray is open. Close the tray to continue. Touch  to view paper loading instructions.'

Image: Pull out the input tray

2. Touch the Play icon () on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen to watch a video on loading paper (optional).

3. Put one or two fingers in the slot on the photo tray, and then pull the tray toward you to open it as far as possible.

Note: If you do not see the photo tray inside the input tray, remove the output tray, and then pull open the photo tray.

Image: Remove the output tray and pull open the photo tray

4. Remove any paper from the photo tray that is different than the photo paper you want to load. If the photo tray has adjustable paper width guides, gently slide out the paper width guides as far as possible.

5. Insert the photo paper print-side down into the photo tray. For photo paper with a perforated tab, place the paper in the tray print-side down with the perforated tab closest to you.

Image:  Photo paper orientation to the printer

Example of how to load photo paper into the printer

Image: Load the photo paper

6. If the photo tray has adjustable paper width guides, gently slide the paper width guides inward so that they lightly rest against the edges of the photo paper. Make sure that the photo paper is centered in the tray.

7. Push the photo tray into the printer as far as possible.

Image: Push in the photo tray

8. Replace the output tray on the input tray, if you removed it, and then push the input tray into the printer until it locks into place.

Image: Replace the output tray and push in the input tray

9. On the Have You Changed the Paper? screen that displays, check to make sure that the photo paper is correctly loaded into the photo tray.

• If 4x6 in., Photo Paper displays in the Photo Tray field, the photo paper is loaded correctly in the photo tray. Touch OK to return to the Home screen, or wait several seconds to allow the printer to automatically return to the Home screen.
  • If the Photo Tray field displays as Empty, open the photo tray and make sure that the photo paper is pushed all the way to the rear of the tray, and then push the photo tray into the printer as far as possible. Push the input tray into the printer until it locks into place, and then check the touchscreen to make sure that 4x6 in., Photo Paper displays in the Photo Tray field.

- Source

For your records, the following photo paper and tray specifications are supported on your printer:

Photo Tray Capacities:

Untitled.png

Supported Photo Paper Types:

Untitled.png

Untitled 1.png

All of the specifications for your printer can be found here.

Please let me know if these steps work for you. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

Hey @czarinameg,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

If the photo tray loading instructions above fail to resolve your issue, can you please respond to this post with your exact HP Envy printer model number so I can provide you with product specific support to resolve your issue.

I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@X-23
Thanks for that. Mine is an Envy 7640. It recognizes that the photo paper is in the photo tray, recognizes the size, just refuses to print to it. I set it up as the size and type of paper in the printer and for print settings.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @czarinameg,

Thanks for getting back to me with your  HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer product information.

Because your printer recognizes the photo paper as loaded in the tray, I believe this printing issue may be related to a setting or driver conflict on the computer.

One final question for you, what Operating System are you using on your computer?

🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
14 10 1 4
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Really, I find that response very frustrating.  Clearly the photo paper tray will NOT fit 4x6 photo paper, and the 5740 does NOT HAVE an adjustable tray. Your specifications say it receives a 3.9x5.9 which (as I indicated) was too small.  I find this whole situation so ridiculous it is almost comical, that a 4x6 sheet of photo paper will NOT fit the photo paper tray.  Seriously, who sells a 3.9x5.9 photo paper.... HP maybe ????????  send me an adjustable photo paper tray and I might get happy, but this situation is just beyond belief.   PS.  I cant even get the paper trays out, it looks like they are not even removable, again something i have NEVER encountered.

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@X-23. Windows 8.1. 64 bit
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @thuck,

I have brought your issue to the attention of the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @czarinameg,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this photo tray printing issue.

If you have not tried printing a photo from Windows Photo Viewer can I please have you try that now to verify if this issue is being caused by your printer or by a driver or setting conflict.

For detailed instructions on how to configure your tray and print settings under Windows Photo Viewer please click here. Once the support document opens please click the dropdown for 'Printing photos with Windows Photo Viewer'.

• If printing a photo through Windows Photo Viewer fails, than the issue that you're experiencing may be caused by a driver conflict or print system issue. Can I please have you click here to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool. This Tool will run on your computer and 'fix printing' issues for you. Should any driver, software, or connection conflicts be found than the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool will attempt to resolve those conflicts for you. If no problems are found can I have you print a test photo to the 4 x 6 in photo paper in your main tray? This will help us to determine if a Windows 8.1 Hot Fix needs to be run. A Hot Fix was recently released by Microsoft to correct printing issues within the Windows 8.1 Operating System. These printing issues usually affect high-quality print jobs (like photos). If you are able to print photos to the main tray, the Hot Fix will not apply.

• If printing a photo through Windows Photo Viewer is successful, than your printer hardware, and driver package are functioning as they should be. What program are you experiencing issues printing photos from?

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 2
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hav bought photo paper from a shop then hp photo paper - the tray for photos is clearly the wrong size

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation