Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC: Optiplex 3040 sff

Printer: HP Officejet 5740

Hello,

I have an end user who has a local 5740 printer that just recieved a computer upgrade after about 8 years.

The printer worked fine with windows 7 on a dell optiplex 380. They recieved a brand new optiplex 3040 sff yesterday running windows 10 and we can't seem to find a solution that lets them print to the local usb printer. The scanning feature works fine though.

We tried several different approaches to get the printer to work. Letting microsoft download the driver through device manager, installing from the disk provided with the printer, installing basic driver from hp site, installing full suite software from the hp site, and running the print and scan doctor and uninistalling and reinstalling through there.

Any help is apprecieated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @bojangin

Thanks for the reply!

Please follow the steps below to completely remove and reinstall the printer:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740__Basicx64_1092.exe and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @bojangin – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

I see that your HP Officejet 5740 printer is scanning fine, but have issues while printing from the Windows 10 PC. I would first suggest a clean install to get this issue fixed. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Go to Run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740__Basicx64_1092.exe to install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the issue persists, the issue could be with the printer permissions. I would suggest giving administrator permissions as suggested below:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

Thanks for your reply!

I just had the chance to try these solutions and i'm afraid I have some bad news.

After carefully following your steps I am still not able to print to the officejet 3740.

Any other potential solutions?

I've made sure to stay away from plugging it into the usb 3.0 ports due to reading somewhere that could potentially be an issue. Also when I attempt to print a page I can see in the print queue that it's saying printing and goes away after it should have printed the page, yet nothing is actually being printed.

HP Recommended

Hello, @bojangin

Thanks for the reply & appreciate your efforts 🙂

Is the printer making a good copy? Please do let me know. If the printer can make a good copy, then the issue is definitely with the printer permissions. Try the steps below:

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type %temp% and press ok.

Note what the full path is  (in my case, it was "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp")

Go up one level in the directory tree

Right click on the temp directory (in my case, "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local"), and select "Properties"

Go to the Security tab, and select "Users" from the group or user names

Click "Edit"

Select Users, then check the box by "Full Control"

Click "Apply"

You may get a whole bunch of error messages about inheritance, just hold down the Enter key until they all go away.

Click "Cancel" a couple of times to dismiss the properties boxes

Go forth and print from any application and check.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I apprecieate you help with this issue Dvortex.

Can you provide me instructions to 100% remove any trace of this printer from her machine? All drivers and files and even the smallest crumb of data for this printer?

I believe something went wrong when I installed the printer. I can't even network print to it from her machine, but can with no issue from mine.

HP Recommended

Hello, @bojangin

Thanks for the reply!

Please follow the steps below to completely remove and reinstall the printer:

• Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740__Basicx64_1092.exe and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you very much! This worked to completely remove the printer and all drivers and files associated with it.

I was then able to connect to the printer over the network and was finally able to print. I chose to just go with network over local this time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.