Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I performed a firmware update the printer keeps giving me the error "79 Service Error Turn off then on". I have done this many times and the printer keeps coming on, going through the initialization, then gives me this error and starts all over again.

Please help!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This soluton was povided to me by HP -- it has worked for me and several other folks. I do not recommend downgrading the firmware as several other posts have mentioned -- I think that is unnecessary. Good luck...

Below are the steps that you need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK
--If on wired network : Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.
--If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off. Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on.

Try printing , it should work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.