Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

For the past several days, my printer has been cycling on and off and showing "Error 79" when it restarts.

I disconnected the printer from the network, powered off the router, turned off the printer, waited for 30 seconds. turned the printer back on, turned off IPv6 (actually, it was already off) and then turned it back on again. When I reconnected to the network, the problem resumed. 

Please let me know if there are any other steps I should take. I'm running Mac OS Big Sur

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, please go to system preferences > printers and scanners and please remove the printer icon.

Then please perform a factory reset on the printer, from set up , please go to service and perform factory reset. 

After that, before connecting the printer back to network, please print a configuration report from the set up menu of the printer and make sure there is no 49 or 79 errors, if its able to print fine, printer is working fine.

Restart computer and modem. Proceed to reconnect printer to the network and make sure the 49 or 79 error is not coming up as soon as the printer is connected to network, if no errors, please reinstall the printer in the computer, just by adding it from the printer and scanners menu.

if errors are coming back just by reconnecting the printer to the network, please make sure there non pending jobs from the computer or any other device that can print to this printer.

Regards,

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

This solution worked very well. Thanks for posting it.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem last week with a MFP M477FDW. HP Support claimed it to be a network error. Since the reboot did not occur when the ethernet cable was disconnected. I also updated the firmware using USB. No difference. Only resetting the device to factory defaults helped. But this wasn't  as easy as I thought! Finally got the answer from HP. When booting the device press you're finger on the bottom left where the white bar starts to fill. Hold it until you see "Permanent storage init". Release the finger. Now the device will be resetting. After this operation connecting the ethernet didn't end up in the erro 79 reset / boot loop. Hope this will help others.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.