Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro color MPF M276nw
Other

Well maybe my HP printer is not compatible with the latest macOS (Big Sur Ver. 11.1)? I keep getting the 79 Service error Turn off then on error message on the printer when I try to print. The printer is connected via USB (so not wireless) to the Mac. I have tried reloading the driver; tried restarting the computer; tried turning off and on the printer; tried plugging the printer directly into the wall outlet instead of a power strip. Nothing is working. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @JJ93036 

Updating the printer firmware would be the first step to try and check if it may make any difference the current printer firmware is quite old, below is the latest update for Windows, please clarify your operating system if you have any different one (a firmware update can be done from a Windows PC or a Mac computer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-mfp-m276/509764...

Also replacing the USB cable should be considered

Also please go through below troubleshooting steps and check for any change:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05029970

Please let me know how it goes, tagging me would allow a faster response due to an higher visibility (simply type @ and select my user name.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please unplug the USB cable from the printer and restart it.

Can you still see a 79 error for your printer, or is it ready with the USB unplug?

Are you able to print a Configuration Report from the Setup menu at this time? what is the Firmware Datecode of your printer?

HP Recommended

The short answer is that this does not fix my problem, as it does not precisely address the problem. 

I can restart the printer and it will turn on without an error. It is only when I try to print from my computer, and that is when the 79 error comes up. 

I can only print (until very recently) via USB connection. It was years ago when I was getting error messages trying to print via Wi-Fi so I stopped trying to do that. 

I was able to print out the Configuration Report. The Firmware Datecode is: 20150212. 

Thank you for your help so far, and hopefully this additional information will be useful for a solution (or being advised there isn't one). 

HP Recommended

Is there going to be any further response here? (I keep getting emails about a response but there is nothing more posted.) 

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @JJ93036 

Updating the printer firmware would be the first step to try and check if it may make any difference the current printer firmware is quite old, below is the latest update for Windows, please clarify your operating system if you have any different one (a firmware update can be done from a Windows PC or a Mac computer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-mfp-m276/509764...

Also replacing the USB cable should be considered

Also please go through below troubleshooting steps and check for any change:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05029970

Please let me know how it goes, tagging me would allow a faster response due to an higher visibility (simply type @ and select my user name.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I think this has fixed the problem, although it was not terribly straightforward as I will explain. 

So my current MacOS is 11.1 and HP does not have any updates corresponding to that version of the operating system right now for this printer. 

I had to keep going back to earlier versions to find anything that had an updated Firmware.

I found that for MacOS X 10.5 through MacOS 10.14, there was a Firmware update, dated 6/11/2019. (For reasons unknown, HP has more updates past version 10.14, but none of those refer to the Firmware update.) 

So I installed that Firmware update, and now the printer appears to be working. 

If it has problems printing in the near future, I'll try going through the suggested troubleshooting steps to see if that fixes it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.