Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm receiving the message "the printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed on 8620.  I performed the steps on this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367611/docum... multiple times to resolve printhead issues but the issue is not resolved.  Printer worked just fine yesterday.  Could this be caused by a software update.  If so how do I determine if one occurred yesterday or today?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SD67

Welcome to HP support community.

Reseat the printhead up to three times

1. Open the door to access to the ink cartridges.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer.

4. Lift the carriage latch, slightly lift the printhead, lower the printhead back into the carriage, wiggle the printhead left and right, and then lower the carriage latch to lock the printhead into place.

Animation showing how to reseat the printhead in the carriage

5. Close the ink cartridge access door.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then check the control panel for the error message.

7. Sometimes error messages persist after inserting the printhead. If the error message persists, repeat the steps to reseat the printhead up to three times.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response but I guess you didn't notice in my original post - I already performed the instructions you provided and the issue is not resolved. Also, How I can I determine if there was recently a software update to the printer?  I'm thinking something like that could also be causing this issue.

HP Recommended

@SD67

This could be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I agree it may be a hardware issue.  I followed the instructions you gave me and it took me to this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/53....  There is no "show options" link.  I'm assuming because the printer is out of warranty.  The only support option on the page displayed is Visit the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

@SD67

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what team you talked to about my printhead issue but I got a private message from someone in HP Social Media.  That person told me they don't do technical support. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and HP support will not return my calls back. My printhead is not working.

HP Recommended

@Gunsmoke1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

1. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367611/model...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.