Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
macOS 10.12 Sierra

When I tryto print a document, a dialogue box "guest" appears requiring a password, even after reinstallation when I try to print a test page. I have never set up a guest account and the problem appears to have started after upgrading to Sierra 10.12.4 on my iMac. Printer works fine in all other respects, but I would like to be able to print!

Anyone with a similar experience?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @stuartpmp,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having an issue with printing a test page as it comes out with the guest use dialogue box requiring for a password. I would suggest let's start by resetting the printing system. 

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

I hope this helps. If the issue persists, I would suggest you contact Apple tech support for further assistance. 

Please take your time and get back to me with the results, I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @stuartpmp

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to print after upgrading the version of MAC OS on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

Have you changed the router or ISP recently?

Is the printer connected to the same network as the computer?

Recommend you to refer to this HP Article to uninstall the printer on your computer. 

Once the printer is uninstalled, please reset the printing system. Click here

After resetting the printing system, restart your computer and install the printer software from this link

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Unfortunately, the solution suggested does not resolve the problem. I have been tearing my hair out over the past 3 days trying to get the printer to work, but when, following reinstallation, I try to print a test page, I get the same result, with the guest user dialogue box requiring a password. However, when I do a test scan, it works! I can also print using HP eprint and from a Windows computer.

I can only assume the problem lies with the Apple OS, and I will see if I can get any assistance from Apple support.

I was a long term Windows user (and MS and PC Dos before that!), and only switched to the Mac 18 months ago. As such I am not as familiar with the OS and getting behind the system to tweak it, but this experience certainly has me considering a return to Windows, for all of its faults!

If you have any other suggestions, they will be much appreciated.

Thanks once again.

HP Recommended

Hi @stuartpmp,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having an issue with printing a test page as it comes out with the guest use dialogue box requiring for a password. I would suggest let's start by resetting the printing system. 

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

I hope this helps. If the issue persists, I would suggest you contact Apple tech support for further assistance. 

Please take your time and get back to me with the results, I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help Jeet. Printing at last!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved.

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.