Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet Pro 8740

My HP 8740 printer has never handled heavier paper well. Card stock always  jams and photo paper frequently does. I program the correct type of paper Into the tray information  and printer set up, but I am beyond frustrated with its failure to print them. I have no problems with regular print paper. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Wiltzerranch 

OK..

I am sorry you are frustrated.

Product series introduced in mid-2016

This is a long time time to be hassling with jams and feed problems.

The printer series is no longer a new - there is  nothing "different" to offer that would change anything for you at this point.

What?

The Full Feature Software does not impact whether the paper jams

The latest Firmware is a security update and not intended to change the physical handling of the print media.

There are, of course, limitations to type and paper weight - I suspect you are well aware of these.

For others reading:

Specifications > Paper Handling

Paper tray capacities

The following table contains the recommended maximum amount of paper to use in each tray.
note:
Output tray capacity is affected by the type of paper and the amount of ink you use. HP recommends that you empty the output tray frequently.
Tray
Type
Weight
Capacity
Tray 1
Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)
Up to 250 sheets of plain paper (25 mm [1 inch] stacked)
Photo paper
220 to 280 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 50 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 30 envelopes (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 50 cards
Tray 2
note:
Paper Tray 2 is an optional accessory.
Plain paper only
Up to 250 sheets
Duplexer
Paper
n/a
Automatic document feeder (ADF)
Paper
60 to 90 g/m2 (16 to 24 lb bond)
50 sheets
Output tray
Paper
Up to 150 sheets of plain paper (text printing)
Photo paper
220 to 280 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 100 sheets

Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 30 envelopes
Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 80 cards

NOTES

Note that "card" paper is indicated as "Index" - "Index" paper is an ISO standard that meets manufacturing requirements for media type, surface, and weight.

Bond paper is also an ISO standard and is not the same as (for example), "Cover" or "Text" paper.

Pay attention to Photo Paper limitations.  It is certainly possible to purchase photo paper that is heavier of or a type that the printer cannot handle.  If in doubt, use HP Advanced

Remember to tell the printer about the paper you are using.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu, Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save under a new name
  • Click OK to save the setup

=======================================================================

What to do?

Honestly, I don't know what you can do that you do not already know (and have already tried by this time)...

Notes

• The printer needs occasional maintenance to keep it from 'sticking' - I would guess you know enough to provide the cleaning and maintenance steps to keep the printer clean and functional.
  • HP Printers of this type need genuine HP Ink - this is important and it is expected you are using HP Ink.
  • The media type (kind of paper) and weight must be within the limitations for the printer's hardware - there are no "software" workarounds to force the printer to handle a paper it won't take.
  • HP printers, especially the high-end Officejet printer series, are able to print on most brands of high-grade paper stock.  In other words, an HP printer is optimized for HP paper but will not normally refuse other brands of paper as long as that paper meets quality standards
  • HP printers must be stored and operated in an environment that meets the specs for the hardware.  Areas that are too humid, too dry, too hot or cold, will impact the printer's performance.
  • Paper, too, must be stored in an appropriate environment - not too dry, humid, hot, cold, curled...

In other words, there is "nothing new here".

Personal Opinion

I had an HP Officejet 8740 for a year as a loaner (evaluation and training).  It performed as well or better than any printer I have used outside of a work / Enterprise environment.  I only had one instance of "jamming" due to paper caught inside the machine; the resulting 15 minutes of hassling around to fix the problem was largely my own doing.  (I opened, prodded, added steps as part of the "let's see what this does' approach to figuring out what the printer thought was happening.)

Useless - You don't care at all about my opinion.  It is offered FYI and only as a counter balance.

So.. what?

If the printer never met your needs from the beginning, it won't likely get better.

You may need a different printer.

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.