Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP envy 5055 and recently purchased the HP Professional Business Paper with double-sided glossy finish. It is advertised as "designed for inkjet, pagewide, laser printers).

I assume that the correct paper setting in the printer driver for this paper is "HP glossy brochure or professional paper". However, when I select this setting, or any setting other than photo paper, the black ink does not stay and rubs off on my finger. I know that I can solve this by using a photo paper setting, which does not use black ink, but in that case the blacks are not very deep. (Although this paper is advertised as glossy, it is actually closer to semi-gloss, so "photo paper" setting does not give blacks as deep as on full gloss photo paper.)

Is this paper compatible with my printer? If so, why doesn't the "HP glossy brochure or professional paper" setting work, given that it is literally "HP glossy professional paper" designed for inkjets?

More generally, what I want is: (a) blacks as deep as black ink on matte paper (or CMY blacks on photo paper, which is similarly dark), without it rubbing off; (b) double-sided semi-gloss finish similar to the finish of "HP professional business paper, glossy". Is that possible?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rbelikov, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Refer to the document Product Specifications for the HP ENVY 5055 All-in-One Printer (M2U85A) to understand the supported paper type and size that goes well with the printer to print.

If the paper used does not match the specifications, change the paper, and try printing.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but the document you linked shows the "HP Glossy Professional Paper" as supported* (and so does the instruction manual -- which is why I bought it).

So, either the instruction manual is incorrect, or I am doing something wrong.

Could you please see if you can reproduce my problem on your end? In other words:

1. Print a picture which has a lot of dark areas on HP Glossy Professional Paper with HP Envy 5055. (HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper). 

2. Make sure you have "HP Glossy Business or Professional Paper" selected in the printer driver.

3. Wait for a minute (or even a few hours), then gently rub your finger or paper towel on the black areas of the image. Do you see black residue on your finger / paper towel, and/or corresponding streaks on the image where the ink was rubbed off?

* The page you linked seems to imply that only 20lb paper weight is supported for US paper sizes. This contradicts the instruction manual, and contradicts the fact that "HP Glossy Professional Paper" is listed as supported, which is 48lb, and contradicts the fact that European papers are supported up to 300 gsm (which is like 100lb+). I tried 200gsm matte and photo papers, and the printer works fine for them. 

HP Recommended

@rbelikov

Thanks for replying! Thanks for bringing that to our notice.

This issue requires remote assistance. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.