Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6962

Had to replace ink on our HP OfficeJet 6962 and now the black won’t print. We’ve tried all the steps recommended on the website including restoring factory settings. Any ideas or suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Mmstack

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this happen while copying too? If you have another black ink cartridge, do try that.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, it happens while copying. We did try another ink cartridge as well. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

At this point this looks like a hardware issue with the Printer. I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you still have the printer?  If so, the linked video may help you. I'll put the basic steps here as well. I'm on a crusade today to try and help everyone with this problem that I experienced last week. It was frustrating to be told I need a new printer, then to fix it myself in 5 minutes.  Note: I'm not affiliated with the youtube video or poster of it. Just trying to help others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTHa38vBw&t=35s

Here's the basic steps:

1. Remove the ink cartridges
  2. slide the printhead all the way to the left
  3. place a slightly damp paper towel underneath where the printhead moves, press down firmly to get it flush so the head can pass over it.  (I struggled with this, and ended up just holding the corner of it until I could get the head over it)
  4. manually slide the printhead back and forth several times.  I had to use 2 paper towels and refolded both because the black ink covered them quickly.
  5. replace the ink cartridges.
  6. my step 6. run the clean print-head cycle a few times. I still had some fading/streaking so I think I did the 3 cleaning cycles twice before I was satisfied. Black in and color prints look perfect again

The video says you have 5 minutes before the printhead returns to "maintenance mode", so watch your fingers and get it done in 5 minutes. I didn't have any problems and my printer prints just fine now.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.