Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I unpacked the printer.  The package and printer appeared to be intact.  I removed all of the tape and installed newly purchased  ink cartridges and some paper.  I plugged the printer in. It showed a progress bar then after about 10 seconds flashed code C4EB82C3...  "Problem with printer.  Turn off and restart".

I did this several times with the same result.  I also tried disconnecting the power cord and waiting about 6 minutes to plug it back in.  Same error message.  I unplugged the power cord and waited again.  I changed to a different wall outlet.  Same result.  I also removed the ink cartridges and paper.

Anyone know how to fix this problem or do I have a junk printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED.

After dozens of attempts using the recommended procedure I finally came up with a solution.  I had noticed that when I tried to power the printer down by holding the power button  that the printer was not completely powering down.  Instead,  the screen would go dark but when I would release the button, the printer would immediately show a progress bar and after about 10 seconds show the same error message.  I should mention that it obviously would power down when I pulled he plug but would immediately begin starting with the progress bar before going to the error message when plugged back in.

This started me thinking about things I had learned about some of my stereo equipment and one DVR over the years.  I remembered that some power buttons have different functions depending on "how" they are held down.  So, I tried holding down on only the left corner of the power button.  This time the printer shut down completely and stayed off when I released the button.

When I restarted it by pushing the button normally, it went into a normal start up mode and began functioning with no errors.  I had to unplug it to move it because I had it on a work bench and it continued to work normally when I moved it into my home office room..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@audioxcel

Welcome to the HP support community.

Remove the ink cartridges, and reset the printer

1. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn the printer on.

7. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

8. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration or alignment page, do so.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried that multiple times.  It did not solve the problem and the same error code persisted,

Is this usually caused by a software, firmware or hardware problem?

HP Recommended

@audioxcel

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Problem solved after many frustrating attempts. (dozens)) with no success.Every time I unplugged and powered the printer back up or tried to shut in down by holding the power button  down it returned to the same error message.  In fact, noticed that when I held the power button down, the printer immediately began to  restart and after a progress bar went to the same error message when I released the button instead of going into a complete  shutdown.  This got me thinking that maybe the problem was in the power button.

I remembered that certain stereo equipment I have owned would display hidden menus  if the left corner of the power button  was held down.   I tried this and, lo and behold, the printer shut down completely.  When I pushed the button again, it went into a normal start-up and the problem was gone.

The only other things I had done were to jiggle the ink cartridge holder in the carriage and clean some excess grease from the carriage  rods.  Unfortunately, I don't know for certain exactly which thing fixed the problem because I did these two things without  attempting a  restart before i did the power button trick.  But, I suspect the problem was in the power button because I was not getting the expected shut down before I tired pushing on the left side instead of in the middle of the button.

HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED.

After dozens of attempts using the recommended procedure I finally came up with a solution.  I had noticed that when I tried to power the printer down by holding the power button  that the printer was not completely powering down.  Instead,  the screen would go dark but when I would release the button, the printer would immediately show a progress bar and after about 10 seconds show the same error message.  I should mention that it obviously would power down when I pulled he plug but would immediately begin starting with the progress bar before going to the error message when plugged back in.

This started me thinking about things I had learned about some of my stereo equipment and one DVR over the years.  I remembered that some power buttons have different functions depending on "how" they are held down.  So, I tried holding down on only the left corner of the power button.  This time the printer shut down completely and stayed off when I released the button.

When I restarted it by pushing the button normally, it went into a normal start up mode and began functioning with no errors.  I had to unplug it to move it because I had it on a work bench and it continued to work normally when I moved it into my home office room..

HP Recommended

I should add that before I tried the power button "trick" I also jiggled the cartridge holder and wiped some "excess" grease from the carriage rods  with a dry microfiber cloth in addition to the recommended procedures without attempting a restart,   But, I am fairly certain that the problem was actually in the power button because the printer was not shutting down properly when the power button was held down by pressing in the center of the button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.