Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy Photo 7855

I just bought a brand new HP Envy Photo 7855. The setup was going fine until I installed the "Setup" ink cartridges. I installed them correctly in the correct slots, I heard the clicks and everything. Then a message popped up on the printer saying "Do not use SETUP cartidges". I checked the little packages the "setup" ink came in and they DO say "setup ink". So why is the printer saying not to use them?? It's a brand new printer never used before.

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hello, @MelC333 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a fantastic location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that your printer is asking a for setup cartridges even though you are using the setup cartridges. Try to perform a hard reset on the printer and check.

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, you can try performing a reset on the printer. I am sending a private message with instructions. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen to access your mailbox.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dear Mel,

I have sent a message to you to contact you.  Or you can contact me via mail prabahar.annalingam@hp.com

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen to access your mailbox.

We really need your help to response to that. 

And looking forward to resolve your issue as soon as possible 

Thanks

Praba

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

I just bought a 7855 & I'm having exactly the same problem.  I have done a hard reset 3 times.  It seems like this must be a flawed model.  I shouldn't have to spend 40 mins googling, searching HP, plugging/unplugging.

HP Recommended
This is not working for me. 😕

I'm getting super annoyed that a brand new printer will not work with the cartridges provided. Can you please message me with another solution asap? I amending this set up for work.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Carly
HP Recommended

We just bought a 7855 this evening and having the exact same problem.  This is completely insane to have this much issues with trying to install a printer!  Have tried the reset options listed above and still have a problem.  Need to have this resolved ASAP.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

I had this problem also. I you update to the latest firmware dated Oct. 25 it will fix the problem.

HP Recommended
Hi, contrary to what people have been saying-there is no fix. This has been a known design flaw since the printer came out. I found this out wasting 40 mins with technical support. They have send new cartridges-which takes 2-3 days. But, they say it’s overnighted to you. People are obviously trying to be helpful with there solutions but, tech finally admitted to me that any fix would basically be a fluke. Just call & ask for the new cartridges.
HP Recommended

I have made 2 phone calls to techincal support and the last person hung up on me.  This I just need to return the printer and purchase a differen t brand.  GOODBYE HP!

HP Recommended

@Gwensd3

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.