Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8710
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

My Office Jet 8710 suddenly stopped working correctly with my MacOS 11.2 MacBookPro.  First jobs were able to be sent to the printer, but the jobs would hang, never complete, and never print anything. I have removed all HP software from the Mac, reinstalled the driver, reset the printing system, etc. I even used the web interface to update the firmware.  All signs seem to be pointing to it being a result now of the recent exploit (see https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06640149). Other machines (Macs) can no longer print to it (same symptoms) as well as printing from my iPhone has the same result. 

It's not clear where I go from here. Is this thing bricked?  It's out of warranty, and I'm out of options. Sadly, I have a hard time buying another HP printer if I need to replace this (2-3 years old, very good condition).  Thanks for any advice...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@peterdepasquale, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I'd like to know the following-

• How is the printer connected to the computer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Have you tried using the AirPrint drivers?
  • Are you able to make photocopies on the printer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer was never connected to a machine. It was connected via wireless to my home network.  Currently, there are no anti-virus programs on my laptop.  I believe that it had been set to use the AirPrint drivers, and is currently set up that way now (see more below).  I have not tried to make copies, but will try to.  I have only been able to print a test page via the printer interface or internal web server.  

However, here is the current state:  I have no functioning ink cartridges. I had previously used non-HP cartridges.  After I updated the printer s/w via the internal web server, the printer started to complain about the print cartridges. I fortunately replaced them all, but it still via me issues with the cartridges, so I can't send print jobs, as the error prevents printing functionality. I have ZERO confidence in this printer at this point and will not simply buy HP ink to test a broken printer. 

It's too bad since it was a very well working model for my family and home office.  Will test copying and reply here again later.

HP Recommended

I can confirm that scanning seems to work from the EWS and printer console.

HP Recommended

@peterdepasquale,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.