Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP6962 OFFICEJET ALL-IN-ONE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I JUST INSTALLED A NEW INK CARTRIGE IN MY HP6962 PRINTER, NOW I GET A CARTRIGE ERROR MESSAGE ON THE PRINTER SCREEN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @34158730

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print due to an error. I'd be happy to assist you.

Which ink cartridges shows as defective? 

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Also, perform step 3 from this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @34158730

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print due to an error. I'd be happy to assist you.

Which ink cartridges shows as defective? 

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Also, perform step 3 from this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same "printer cartridge error" as many others in this group.  I have done a hard reset and that didn't resolve the problem.  I have returned one cartridge to the store already with the same error message and this is also a new HP cartridge.  What will solve the problem?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Blackbearlodge

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

error message reads cartridge installed incorrectly and picture indicates it is the color cartridge. Tried reinstalling both cartridges and replaced black cartridge with new one. Computer is telling me the black is empty but that can't be. This is a brand new printer that have only been using a week. Tried unplugging, waiting 60 seconds, replugging but that doesn't work. Help please

HP Recommended

@Kris701 Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Also, where did you get the new cartridge from? Is it genuine HP compatible cartridge?

If not, do elaborate.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have completed all of these steps, I have purchased new HP cartridges, and I am still getting the same error.  I saw other articles online suggesting that new firmware update, that was recommended as a possible solution, might be part of the problem?  

I do not feel like I should have to purchase anything else, or invest anything more into this printer.  Granted, it wasn't terribly expensive, at Costco (whom is also getting an earful from me on this), but I am now in over a few hundred dollars between the printer, and all the ink I have purchased that I cannot use. 

HP Recommended

@G-Pop I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.