Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet CP1518ni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a CP1518ni, a great printer. It's fast and high-quality, but there's a noise issue.

Every time I go to start a print, it makes a motor whirring noise for a few seconds, then clanks loudly a few times. Then, it spits out the paper. The prints are coming out fine, but the clanking noise gets annoying. When calibrating, these noises are somewhat louder and happen more often.

It is not a rapid-fire clicking, as would indicate a printer jam. It is more like a loud bang every second, continuing for 3 or so seconds.

I don't think this is a serious problem, as the prints come out without any issues. But if you could please tell me why this is happening, that would be great.

Here are two videos. The first one is of printing the demo page. It makes this noise twice. The second video is of a calibration. It makes this noise four times. Listen carefully and you'll hear what I mean.

Video 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ykajBTr_ro7uhjpBKAgAgbzDVC4Moyu/view?usp=sharing 

Video 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eG6Gbub5QmjN1rfenAKFhOKCAzpqmkAz/view?usp=sharing 

Note: The paper gets wrinkled as it comes out of the printer in the video. This does not usually happen, and was caused by some computer cables on top of the machine. This is not a problem.

In addition, the printer occasionally makes a rolling noise for no apparent reason, sometimes accompanied by these clanks. When making these random noises, the screen does not show anything. It just says "PowerSave ON"

I usually trust HP to make quality products, and so I trust they will have a solution to this noise issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Proxy303, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Appreciate your detailed description of the issue, upon checking I feel this could be an issue with the internal rollers which has gone through wear and tear over the period of time.

If the printer works fine, there is nothing to worry but you may have to live with the sound. Else, take it to the nearest printer service center for help, or reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Proxy303, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Appreciate your detailed description of the issue, upon checking I feel this could be an issue with the internal rollers which has gone through wear and tear over the period of time.

If the printer works fine, there is nothing to worry but you may have to live with the sound. Else, take it to the nearest printer service center for help, or reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.