Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently received confirmation that printing on A5 paper counts a one full sheet. I therefore printed my A5 landscape pages on A4 portrait paper, set to 2 pages per A4 sheet. When I checked, printing 4 A5 landscape documernts at 2 per A4 portrait sheet, the print count went up by 6 pages. How does HP calculate the number of pages printed. In this case I printed one A4 sheet double sided and it cost me 6 sheets not the two I expected. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @jwRonald, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the page count issue using the instant ink services.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Are you enrolled in the instant ink program?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

I understand your concern and situation, but not to worry I will try my best to help you out.

Please share the printer model and operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

HP Instant Ink page counts are not recorded in real time. As long as your printer is connected to the Internet and has Web Services turned on, printed pages are automatically recorded approximately once per day and display in your Print History on the date they were recorded. Any pages you print when the printer is not connected to the Internet are recorded on the date the printer is reconnected to the Internet. Sign in to your HP Instant Ink account to update your page count.

NOTE:

Only pages printed using HP Instant Ink cartridges are recorded in your printing history.

1. Go to hpinstantink.com/signin (the HP Connected website) to sign in to your HP Instant Ink account, if you are not signed in already.

Your HP Instant Ink account page opens.

2. At the top of the Status area on your HP Instant Ink account page, click the refresh icon  to obtain the most current information about your monthly fees. Look for a green checkmark and Online to make sure your printer is connected to the HP Instant Ink service.

If the printer status is not online, make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the network, then click the refresh icon again.

Figure : Clicking the refresh icon and making sure the printer is online

Clicking the refresh icon and making sure the printer is online
  3. Note the Plan, Rollover, and any Additional pages printed. If no Additional pages have been printed, that icon does not appear.

Figure : Reviewing Plan, Rollover, and Additional pages

Reviewing Plan, Rollover, and Additional pages
  4. Click View Print History in the Status area for more information about each print job, such as the date and number of pages printed.

The printing history for the current billing cycle displays. To view a previous billing cycle, click the Billing Cycle drop-down menu, and then select a billing cycle.

Figure : Viewing Print History

Viewing Print History

If you want to make sure your print jobs have been recorded, you can send a print job to the printer, and then repeat the steps.

Also, Please share few details in a private message, if you think the above statement didn't answer your query, so I can check the account details and credit the pages to you.

Printer Model Name

Serial Number of the printer

Instant ink Email Address

Instant Ink Account Number

Address to ship the cartridge

Do you need black or color ink cartridges?

Refer this article to know more information about instant ink page count issues. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If I print to file, not to the printer, Instank Ink counts it as a pages printed. This does not happen if I turn the printer off and clear the print queue buffer after each print to file. However, it it very inconvenient to have to turn the printer on and off repeatedly so that a print to file does not increase the Instank Ink print count. I have read of a similar problem when scanning and realise that this has also been a problem for me.

I am happy with the concept of Instant Ink but very diapointed that the software used for Instant Ink is incapable of determining whether a page is printed or a page is scanned or a page is saved as a file on the hard drive.

Previous 2 replies have not recognised the problem cited. Even Robot must try harder.

HP Recommended

Hey there! @jwRonald, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

I understand your concern but scanned pages are not calculated.

Only page printing is calculated in the plan.

However, If you still feel the query is unanswered.

Please contact HP instant ink support team and get assistance. Click Here

Have a blessed day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.