Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide Printer

On the new HP PageWide printer, if I only have infrequent use, will the ink clog or dry like it does on InkJet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Plugged in and powered up, will be fine. 

Unplugged or powered off, 3 months is the stated longest we would want to see it go. 

HP Product Expert for the Officejet Pro X and PageWide Pro Series.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

As long as the printer is plugged in and turned on, the printer will run in a background mode once in a while to maintain the print system. 

What model of printer do you have?

HP Recommended

Don't have a printer yet, I am researching. Looking at the PageWide Pro series.

The printer is for a remote office that the user visit a few times a year, so the printer will remain unused for several months at a time. On InkJet, we have to print something weekly or so to make sure it does not clog. So I'm interested in knowing if the PageWide printers suffers from that too or not so I can see if it's an advantage on that front or not.

HP Recommended

Plugged in and powered up, will be fine. 

Unplugged or powered off, 3 months is the stated longest we would want to see it go. 

HP Recommended

The above comments are all correct in the automatic servicing scheduling.  If you ensure that the printbar gets capped when powered down and understand that you will likely have some initial issues, there are printhead cleaning steps that can clean the nozzles pretty effectively.  However, it is not completely immune to nozzle issues over such a long period of time.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I had the printer unplugged for about 3 months actually. the blck ink is not printing at all now. this is a pagewide 477 dw.

Thanks so much for all your help in advance.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.