Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M254nw
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I print very infrequently, thus, have a laser. Today, was the first time this year I needed to print a letter I have written.  I turn the printer on, wait until it is ready, and the light on the router is on. Issue the print from Word, and nothing happens. I don't recall any problem when I printed Christmas letters to go with cards, what is the problem now?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@adrianxw

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Are you able to print other documents apart from word?

Resetting the power to the printer is a quick way to reset the printing system and prepare for further troubleshooting, if necessary.

Follow these steps to perform a power reset and check connections:

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer, and then check the printer status:

• If the printer starts printing jobs from the print queue, then the printer is back online and you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the computer still shows the printer status as "Offline," continue to the next step.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet, and then wait at least 60 seconds.

3. Make sure the USB or network cable is securely connected and not damaged.

4. Make sure the router or switch cables are securely connected.

5. Restart your computer and wait for it to reboot.

6. Reconnect the power cable to the rear of the printer and into the wall outlet.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Try to print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Had some time to fiddle with this again.

>>> Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

I don't recall any updates, some things update themselves, but I doubt anything that would impact the printer.

>>> Are you able to print other documents apart from word?

No. I use the term "Word" as a generic, I don't use Microsoft Word, the letter I was trying to print was done with Open Office's Word like software. I have tried to print a gash document from Notepad, same result.

>>> 8. Try to print.

No change, just tried my letter from Open Office, and a gash "document", (a few lines of random text), again, from Notepad.

I have earlier, tried to reset the NVRAM, this accomplishes nothing either.

I have had problems with this printer before. I've looked at what happened back then, tried things, without change. My old LaserJet 4 just worked and worked until, after 20+ years, the PSU packed up. Time for an upgrade, I thought. It is rarely used, indeed, the "starter" toner cartridges are still in there, and barely show any change, only the black is noticably down on the display.

HP Recommended

@adrianxw

Thank you for posting back. 

Is your printer connected to the home wireless network of wifi hotspot?

Refer to the article: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05087973 Printer status is "Offline" and the printer does not print (Windows) By end the article you will be able to fix the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is copper connected to a LinkSys router which sits 20cm from the printer on my desk top. The two computers under my desk are similarly connected. I had a lot of troubles when I tried to go wireless in the house, and gave it up as a bad move. My wifes laptop has no wireless troubles, but it sits less than a metre away from the ground floor router where the wireless signals originate.  My big machines are in an upstairs bedroom. They run BOINC projects 24/7 so are always busy, and have big CPU heatsinks with heavy fans on them, they are a little noisy.

It is late, I will look at that link in the morning.

HP Recommended

@adrianxw

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.