Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My system: Laptop with Windows 10 Pro; I am local admin. Printer is  Officejet Pro 6230.

My situation:  Just  over a  year ago I installed and connected this printer with WiFi no problem. Since then I have been away and the printer was switched off, though mains connected. Now I have replaced and re-installed my WiFi network, and all other devices work fine with  it.

However the printer refuses to connect to the new WiFi network. With some effort I have made it print reports which show that it is still remembering the old, now deleted, WiFi  network and attempting to connect to that,  although it does detect the new network but seemingly will not attempt to connect to that.

From HP I  have  downloaded and installed some promising-looking tools, but  sadly everything which seems to offer hope  is "locked by administrator". My browser prompts  for credentials, but none of the meagre credentials which the HP applications offer works.

All I need to do is remove from the print device's memory all trace of the old network and password and have it connect to the new. Can that be so difficult?

Caveat. I realise that this is my first post here, and I have indeed not yet been able to fully search for and find  possible earlier instances of this problem. I will. But as the register and log in process affords me this opportunity to post, and who knows  when I will be able to get back here (the HP site is so chaotic and unstable), I am making the best of it.

All I need to do is scrub all my print device's settings and start again, Can that be  so difficult?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless and the Cancel buttons together for about five seconds, and then release the buttons

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi 8lives and thank you so much for your speedy answer. However, working into the night and trying every HP tool I could find I somehow persuaded the printer to access the new network. It is now connected and working, although "HP Smart" still resolutely declares "Printer offline".

If I have the problem again I will certainly try your solution.

HP Recommended

Although  I  can now connect, and print, "HP Smart" still resolutely declares "printer offline". Although the original problem appears resolved, this still bothers me as like many IT professionals, I like to exactly understand what is going on. Can anyone explain this "HP Smart" behaviour or offer a solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.