Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I was able to print in B&W using the generic setting. BUT....no color, no custom features in settings, and poor quality. 

Never been on this forum....How do we get notified when HP has a fix for this?

HP Recommended

They have hung up on me twice today.

HP Recommended

Hey! I tried this and it seemed like it was going to work, but then the file won't print because it says "Unable to use legacy USB driver" 

Anyone else receiving this problem???  So weird that this is happening to so many users all at the same time....

HP Recommended

I just Googled "HP Driver for Officejet Pro 8600" and there's suddenly a new driver available for my printer on the HP website.  Installed and now printer is working again.  Have a feeling HP just added that to their site.

OR instead of Googling, go to:

support.hp.com

>click on your country

>Software and Drivers

>click on type of device (printer)

enter your product name

See if any new drivers for your printer are listed.  (If so, install)

I'm running Catalina and DH is using Mojave, and this fix worked for both of us for both printer and scanner.

I sincerely hope this works for you.  Frustrating day!

HP Recommended

Could you copy the url where you were at to get the driver? I tried what you did with my HP Deskjet F4480 and it just lead me to the same driver I'd already downloaded...

HP Recommended

@Troutshark, here's the url:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers

I have a feeling this is what you've already tried.  It's possible someone on the HP end is updating driver software for each model (ironically, if only to update the expired certificate that seems to be at the core of the problem) and adding those updates to the HP site as we speak.  Hopefully if you try back in a bit yours will be there.  So sorry for your trouble.

I should mention that the "release date" for the driver I installed an hour ago was dated Jun 1, 2020... but it did NOT work until we installed it this afternoon.

HP Recommended

I think Cadbat and his comment about "EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)" may be on to something.  I'm trying to debug the same problem, and I'm getting that same crash message when I try to run fax.backend and other sub applications in my HP folder.  I see that when I download the drivers from HP's website they come with an expired certificate:

Software Update

Issued by: Apple Software Update Certification Authority

Expired: Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 10:29:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time

✖️"Software Update" certificate is expired

I don't know what to do about this.  Is HP going to get their certificate reissued anytime soon?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

HP Recommended

It sounds to me like you've barking up exactly the right tree.  This explains why using the Airprint driver works and the official HP version doesn't.

Could you please check something that might help with this?  I don't have access to a Mac with Catalina at the moment.  You should be able to manually override the certificate expiration error.  In the Keychain Access app on your Mac, in the Category list, select a category. Double-click the offending certificate.  Click the Trust disclosure triangle to display the trust policies for the certificate. To override the trust policies, choose new trust settings from the pop-up menus.  Does that work?

HP Recommended

That means they haven’t updated yours yet. If that is, in fact, what they’re doing.

HP Recommended

Sorry to offer this blind.  I'm travelling with my Mac Air with Mojave so I can't check this before posting it, these instructions should be simpler:

Click the magnifying glass in the upper-right hand corner of your screen and type “Keychain Access” and hit Return.
Click “View” in the menu bar at the top of your screen and select “Show Expired Certificates.”
Use the search bar in the upper-right of the Keychain Access window and look for “digicert high.”

Expired certificates will appear with a red "X".  Right click on the expired HP certificate and delete it.

Restart.

Does that work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.