Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Glad you found the fix. Too bad HP didn't just have the answer.  I solved my problems with them by purchasing a Brother printer fo less.  No problems.

HP Recommended

Hi. Did you find the pin hole back then? And can you take a picture of it and send me? 

HP Recommended

I had the same error message: "Cartridges appear damaged or missing" and I was able to fix mine. After cleaning the contacts and stilling getting the same error messages, I cut out a 3" x 1.5" piece of cardboard. Then I folded it in half, lengthwise, and inserted it behind the cartridges, opposite the end that "snaps" in. I inserted the cardboard with the "V" pointing down; plugged it in and my HP Officejet 6500 was ready to print. I thought, If this doesn't do the trick then I'll be on the hook for a new (or refurbushed) printhead which I had not long ago replaced. Hope this is helpful to everyone.   [ I'm technician, having my own home appliance business since 1992 where we service and sale all brands, including LG. http://wtsa2.com ]   

HP Recommended

I have similar issue with my 7500.  Replaced with brand new HP cartridges and yellow one shows as damaged or missing. Cleaning the metal pins contact inside the printer didn't help...  I noticed 4 metal pins in the printer (for yellow cartridge) were slightly not alinged. The pins are up side down V shape. Suspecting the error was caused by bad contact,  I used a small screw driver to "stretch" them out slightly. This totally fix the issue! If you have not yet throw your priner out, give this a try. :generic:

HP Recommended

LEGEND!

Using the pin solved my problem too.

HP Recommended

I followed the link Bob posted and it takes me back to the same page that got me here.  There is link through which HP will send you a phone number, but you have to send in a description of the problem first.  Why not just email?  I haven't called because I hate waiting on hold for an hour for someone finally answer and tell me my printer doesn't work, send it in.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 6500 put my fix was a little different. I found that I had a bad printer head but I didn't have time to wait for one to arrive. My Y color could not be read no matter how much cleaning or resetting or bending of the tab I did. Since I had narrowed it down tu the printer head after having replaced the cartridge my solution to the problem was that the cartridge was not seating right in the printer head so I took a small piece of heavy paper folded it several times and put it in between yellow and color next to it. I then restarted my printer and it worked like a charm the only downfall is that you cannot alignment cartridges with that piece of paper stuck between 2 colors. But this did buy me time until I could get a new printer head. The colors the print perfect.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.