Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!! I was on my SECOND yellow cartridge returned and now the stores are all closed and i need to print somethings for tomorrow morning and even just the black wouldn't print w/out the yellow! SO glad... i had to peel a significant amount of the sticker off the yellow ink and then used a steak knife to carve the channel out (used the other two colors as a guide) BUT you had great description of exactly what was wrong....you would think for the price of ink and the fact that i JUST bought the printer they could get it right! You really don't know how much i appreciate finding your post! THANK YOU!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks.  It is the solution that worked for me too.  Silly design flaw by HP ink cartridge manufacturer that s/b resolved!

HP Recommended

I love the idea of the push pin throught the plastic but can someone give me an idea of where to put the pinhole?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@blessedrebel wrote:

I love the idea of the push pin throught the plastic but can someone give me an idea of where to put the pinhole?

Thanks

See the information in this document on cleaning the vent in figure 14 and 15.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanx the pin worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

I cannot find where to poke the pin through

HP Recommended

@fuzcat wrote:

I cannot find where to poke the pin through

See the information in this document on cleaning the vent in figure 14 and 15.  The pin should not be poked in the cartridge, rather it is used to clear residue in the vent path.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Like my Officejet 6000 wireless, with just 620 total pages printed so far. This year I went to print 6 pictures, but it signalled low ink in most of the colors. I bought 2 sets of new ink cartridges at Staples, installed one of them and got terrible print performance, only did 6 prints and again saying empty on most cartridges. The HP tech support did some tests by phone and told me printer was toast. They wanted to sell me a new one at half cost, but after only 612 pages ince new and this trouble, no deal. I had Stples extended warranty so tried them next. The tech support did more tests and said print head must be bad. Said that is not replaceabl, but I might try removing it and soak in alcohol, clean up and try again. Still showing bad ink. Reluctantly I opened the other set of ink I had bought at the same time, 2 months ago, and installed.  Works fine ever since. So the problen was entirely the first set of new ink crtridges that became unuisable after just 4 small color prints since new. (not to mention the erroniou diagnosis).

Then I noted ink cartridges have a warrantee date on them.  Thougt I could get the ones that never worked replaced.. for warranty. No, they only take back "unopened packages of ink".  Pretty strange warrantee if it is only goo before you get to try the product.  Not so helpful when you discover you got a bad one.

So, remove all the carridges, and remove the print head which is what you mounted the ink cartridges in, clean the prit head with alcohol, soak it good, carefully wipe the electrical contacts, dry it and re-instal with anothr $30 of new ink crtridges andthat may fix it.  If not, a sure cure is buy a Brothr printer at about the cost of 2 sets of HP ink. .

HP Recommended

Ink cartridge missing or damaged?

HP Recommended

@miggsy wrote:

Ink cartridge missing or damaged?

Hi miggsy, which printer model do you have?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.