Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I manually refilled my HP 962 XL black cartridge but the printer keeps displaying the "Cartridges Depleted" error. I tried rebooting by unplugging, waiting at least 60 seconds, and plugging back in but that didn't help. I tried an OOBE reset through the reset menus and now when the printer turns on it stops at the cartridges depleted error screen and nothing else can be done. I've seen people in the forums have a similar problem and the response was always a private direct message with how to reset the printer. Can someone please let me know how I can reset my printer so it properly reads the cartridge and starts up? Before the OOBE reset I actually printed a test page just fine - my problem came after trying to clear the cartridge warning.

Here's an example of the private message with reset instructions: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Ink-Cartridges-Print-Quality/Printer-Stuck-on-Printing-the-ali...

Here's another example that references the last example:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Officejet-Pro-9015-stuck-on-PRINTING...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @WF8,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

It's an HP cartridge that worked fine until it fully depleted. Once it fully depleted I refilled it myself and put it back and still received the errors from my initial post. In short, this post IS me contacting the chip manufacturer. Please send me the reset instructions described in my initial post.

HP Recommended

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink

cartridges.

I recommend using a new genuine HP Ink cartridge and checking if that helps

Have a good day!

HP Recommended

It's my understanding that HP has been compelled by law to not force it's consumers to buy new ink cartridges when not necessary. To reiterate, the cartridge is fully operational and I printed with it prior to the reset. The only reason my printer is not printing right now is because the cartridge is showing as depleted when it's not, because the chip you reference is actually working and has hit the page count limit. The only thing stopping me from printing is the HP software. I just need to know how to perform a reset. Please tell me how to properly reset my printer so it can use the fully functional print cartridge.

HP Recommended

There is no reset option to enable the printer to accept refilled ink cartridges.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Then what about this?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Ink-Cartridges-Print-Quality/Printer-Stuck-on-Printing-the-ali...

My problem is very similar to this one. I need the same instructions sent to me. This is getting ridiculous.

HP Recommended

The cartridges the customer is using are HP Instant ink cartridges, there is no reset option for the printer to accept refilled ink.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Is there any way to refill an HP ink cartridge manually and still have my printer continue to work at normally?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there isn't.

Please replace the ink cartridges and then try and print.

keep me posted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.