Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello @JY01,

Try resetting the printing system once. Follow the steps below:

•    Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
•    Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
•    Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
•    Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
•    Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
•    Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
•    Click the “Add button” (+).
•    Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
•    Click “Print Using...” or "Use", and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Now go to http://hp.care/2bJdz2J and follow the steps under "Printing in Color, Grayscale or Black in only".

Let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Thanks & have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for these instructions - I followed them and I also updated to Sierra OS and now the black and white printing option has appeared, which is great.

The only trouble is that when I initially installed the printer as I think you mentioned in a previous message it also intsalled a seperate fax, and that is no longer in my printer menu. I am not faxing anything urgently but would like everything setup and ready to go. 

Finally I wasn't able to figure out how to reset my authentication settings in the printer webpage, any further ideas on this would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @JY01,

Glad to see that you are able to print fine now. 

For instructions for setting up the fax on your printer, click here

Let me know if this helped. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks for your help. It isnt that I want to setup the full fax functionality right now, it is that when i initially installed the printer, the print menu showed all the printers available to me including this HP one, and also listed the fax. Since resetting the print settings as advised, which fixed the issue of no black and white option being available, the fax isn't in the list and I wondered if this an issue?

Finally if you would be able to advise me how to add my own authtication settings for the printer webpage so that I may change further settings from now on if needed that would be very useful. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and clarifying your concern. 

Request you to open the printer utility on your computer and run the fax setup wizard. 

Let me know it this helped or if you need any further assistance. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is the fax setup wizard a windows thing? I am on  Mac. Can you explain step by step for me as I don't really undertsand which steps to take.

Just want to clarify where I am with trying to setup my printer correctly - I have a few issues still, hopefully easy to sort out.

Initially I had 3 problems;

1. Eprinting.
I couldn't get a claim code and therefore couldn't set up an email address for printing to - this has been solved thank you, and I now have an email address for my printer and a HP Connected account. However I tried to email to the printer to see if it would print and I recieved a bounceback, is there something I am missing? I had set it to accept emails from anyone but it says security or permissions in the bounceback.

2. I wanted to print in black and white. Again this has now been solved thank you! But the side effect of solving it was wiping the fax from the menu so I would like some help to get this setup again.

3. I need to reset the authentication settings on the printer's webpage so I can change settings when needed and I don't know what the pre-existing logins are. I was hoping there would be a simple way to reset these.

Thaks again for helping with these questions.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, the printer utility is available in MAC as well. You would have an application meant for your printer. If you launch it you will be able to find the utility.

For ePrint not responding, I request you to go through this article, it provides the instructions to resolve your concern. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Where do I launch it from?  Please give me some step by step instructions.

Is it possible you could answer my other points or shall I post the questions seperately?

HP Recommended

Just wanted to share a screenshot of my printer webpage to again ask if it is possible to get help getting past this screen so that I may look in the printer settings when needed. Thanks!Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 13.55.04.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing the screenshot. None of our printers have a password setup on it. To reset the password we would need to restore network settings to default settings. I have mentioned the procedure for the same below: Also you can refer to page no 8 in the manual meant for your printer. 

Restore network settings to default settings.

1. Press the Wireless button to access the Wireless Status menu.

2. Press the button next to Settings to access the Wireless Settings menu.

3. Select Restore Defaults.

4. Confirm the selection to restore defaults.

Once you have done the network default, you would need to run the wireless setup wizard on the printer to get the printer connected to the network again. 

Coming to the other concern about the fax not visible on the printer screen, recommend you to type 'print' or '4630' in the spotlight, it should display the utility meant for the printer. I do not have access to a MAC computer to provide a screenshot. You can search for 'HP printer utility images for MAC' on the internet. Once you have the utility open, you should be able to find the fax setup wizard to enable fax. You can also look for fax setup in the settings on the printer screen itself. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.