Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hmm..I dunno.  Try holding the lower left corner of the display while it boots up to do the permanent storage init and then try and do usbsend while it's on select language quickly?

I think you should be able to jump those pads tho but I'm not sure with what

HP Recommended

I tried that before opening the printer. 
I actually tried the permanent storage reset (before doing that I was getting error 79, after the permanent storage reset I started getting 49).

I also tried doing a firmware update with a usb dongle. In a moment of grace I also managed to tell the printer (after it initialised the OS) that I accepted to update the firmware from usb and starting the process. unfortunately after about a minute I got the error 49 popping up.

That's actually the main problem: there's something that runs in a a loop and periodically triggers this error 49, that makes the machine reboot. Otherwise, we would be able to do an update from USB dongle without too many problems. 

I will wait for what HP comes up with with their December release.

HP Recommended

Hopefully someone else will figure out a way to jump the fw upgrade on European models 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks Incith, this firmware (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/cljmfpM280fw_20220414.ENG.rfu) was new to me and that one brought my printer back from the dead, all other rfu I have tested has always failed with "Fatal error".

cljmfpM280fw_20220414.nativeofficefonts.rfu this firmware did not work, maybe it works once the cljmfpM280fw_20220414.ENG.rfu has been flashed.

About the firmware uploading.
If you have older boards with pin headers populated, you can bridge the pin header. And the display will state Ready 2 download.

If you have a newer board, without the headers and with some other components missing, you need to bridge between the pads marked with arrows. until the screen states Ready 2 download.

firmware_upgrade_pads_marked.png

HP Recommended

Thank you!  This is great information.  I did ENG first and then I ran the normal firmware update exe from HP to install nativeofficefonts

HP Recommended

I will probably not update the printer if it works as expected.
I will also isolate it from the internet, I will not allow it to connect to anything 🙂

I printed out the supplies status report..
Had 90% black and 100% on each color.

so yeah, now happy that it prints again, So we can use all the toner.

HP Recommended

Well just so others know I ran this file - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer/M280_M281/M280_Series_FW_Update-20220414.n... - after I had re-setup the printer from using usbsend.  Worked fine! 🙂

I ran it just from the printer sitting in an idle ready state.

I've updated the information on itbacon.com 

HP Recommended

This is very encouraging news. Glad to see someone was able to get their printer updated!

From my limited knowledge, it looks like the Rev A boards have a FW_Upgrade header populated, but the Rev B boards don't. FWIW, I did try soldering in a header on my Rev B board and shorting it prior to boot (and also the debug header.) It didn't make any difference. It just kept looping with the 49 error. I didn't have a Rev A board to try at the time, but now I have one.

Even if it doesn't work for Rev B boards, it's good to see at least the Rev A boards can be recovered.

IMG_9389 2.jpegIMG_9366.jpegIMG_9377 2.jpeg

HP Recommended

Here's a side by side of a Rev A vs Rev B formatter board. You can clearly see why jumping the FW_Upgrade contacts wouldn't work for me. It's missing several resistors and a capacitor (see R164) for that leg of the circuit.

Rev ARev ARev BRev B

HP Recommended

The thing by DS2 is just a green led that turns on when you're jumping it and works as a pseudo status light during the update 

Curious, seems the guy before you was able to jump it and get to ready 2 download state

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.