Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My DeskJet 3845 has ceased functioning.   When attempting to print I get a message stating " ... is in an error state".   I have replaced both colour and the blackcartidges but with no result.   Ditto with re-booting and with removing and reinstalling the device.   My devices file shows that I am now on (Copy 3) although no others are shown and Ctrl-P prings up a page showing a choice of 4 HP 3845 printers (0 to 3), none of which print and #3 giving the " ... is in an error state" message.   What can I do to activate things properly?   When it was running, it was giving good results but not now.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BrianJoyce,

I'm very happy to hear that I was able to help you resolve the problem with the printer. 

When the printer is already installed and you re-add it the computer, it creates copies. 

To remove the duplicate printers installed on the computer, follow these steps:
  1. On your computer open the Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom-left corner of the computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom-left of your keyboard.
  2. Under the Start screen type Devices and Printers. 
  3. Click Devices and Printers to open the window.
  4. Right-click on one of the printer's that has Copy(#) on it. Only remove the duplicates.
  5. First, delete any jobs waiting to be printed by selecting Delete print queue and than click OK.
  6. Right-click on the printer again and click Remove Device and click Yes.
  7. Repeat the same action for the remaining duplicate printer entries.
  8. Now, left-click on Print server properties along the top menu.
  9. In the Print server properties window select the Drivers tab. 
  10. Left-click on the Printer in the list and click Remove...
  11. Left-click Remove driver only (you need the driver package) and then click OK. 
  12. Click Yes to confirm.
  13. On the next screen click Delete to remove the driver and then click OK.
  14. Repeat the same steps for all duplicates. 
  15. Once you have removed the duplicates, click Close on the Print server properties Window.
This should remove all duplicate entries installed for the printer.

Remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I hope this helps. Please respond if you have any concerns. I hope you have a great day!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @BrianJoyce

Thank you for showing interest in the HP Support Forums! 

I noticed that your HP Deskjet 3845 Color Inkjet Printer is in an error state and will not print. I would be happy to help.

When the printer is in an error state it will not perform any functions until the problem is rectified. It sounds like there is a mechanical problem with the printer.

In order to help determine the cause, follow the steps within the guide below:
If the issues persist, there could be an obstruction causing the problem. Please try the steps within these guides:
If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for all that.  All seems well now and the printer is functioning correctly.   Can you now tell me how to remove all of the other Hp 3840 Series (LiDiL) (Copy #)  apparent printers which now show on the Devices screen and on the General  page seen when Ctrl-P is pressed?

HP Recommended

Hi @BrianJoyce,

I'm very happy to hear that I was able to help you resolve the problem with the printer. 

When the printer is already installed and you re-add it the computer, it creates copies. 

To remove the duplicate printers installed on the computer, follow these steps:
  1. On your computer open the Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom-left corner of the computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom-left of your keyboard.
  2. Under the Start screen type Devices and Printers. 
  3. Click Devices and Printers to open the window.
  4. Right-click on one of the printer's that has Copy(#) on it. Only remove the duplicates.
  5. First, delete any jobs waiting to be printed by selecting Delete print queue and than click OK.
  6. Right-click on the printer again and click Remove Device and click Yes.
  7. Repeat the same action for the remaining duplicate printer entries.
  8. Now, left-click on Print server properties along the top menu.
  9. In the Print server properties window select the Drivers tab. 
  10. Left-click on the Printer in the list and click Remove...
  11. Left-click Remove driver only (you need the driver package) and then click OK. 
  12. Click Yes to confirm.
  13. On the next screen click Delete to remove the driver and then click OK.
  14. Repeat the same steps for all duplicates. 
  15. Once you have removed the duplicates, click Close on the Print server properties Window.
This should remove all duplicate entries installed for the printer.

Remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I hope this helps. Please respond if you have any concerns. I hope you have a great day!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

More or less all OK now.   The only bit not quite right is when I signal a Print command I still get a choice of two 3840 printers although the functioning one is highlighted.   A very small point and not worth worrying over.   Thanks very much for you help!

Brian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.