Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2546B
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I haven't been able to connect my computer to my pc through the wifi a colledge, so I connect my printer through my pc's usb port (I use the white cable that came with the printer that plugs into the back of it). Printing normal word documents is fine, but I have now been tring to print several pages from a pdf file and it stops printing a few lines in. No error messages, no warning noises, just stops. The power button light flashes too. 

The cord is still plugged in, it says in my devices on my pc that it is still connected, and I can see the print job in my que. I can delete it from my que with no trouble and it will spit out th rest of the page. If I let it sit without doing anything, it will spit out the page eventually after a minute. It will still have the job in the printer's que, but it won't do anything with it. 

And I can't seem to convert the pdf's content into a word file as a workaround. 

What can I do to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Roket107,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer with a Windows 10 computer and when you are trying to print from a PDF file the print job will stop printing without any error messages, but seems to print fine from MS Word. I would like to help.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software issues.

It might also help to make sure that the Windows Updates are up to date.

If the HP Printy and Scan Doctor finds no problems with the printer software, maybe the software being used to view and print the PDFs from needs to be updated, or uninstalled then reinstalled. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Roket107,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer with a Windows 10 computer and when you are trying to print from a PDF file the print job will stop printing without any error messages, but seems to print fine from MS Word. I would like to help.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software issues.

It might also help to make sure that the Windows Updates are up to date.

If the HP Printy and Scan Doctor finds no problems with the printer software, maybe the software being used to view and print the PDFs from needs to be updated, or uninstalled then reinstalled. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I did what you suggested, and it still did not work. 

But, I did manage to figure out the problem, somewhat, and fix it. 

As it turns out, when I upgraded my computer to Windows 10, it uninstalled the Adobe reader. So it has been opening up my pdfs with the new default of Microsoft Edge, which apparently doesnt like to print pdfs. I never use Edge, I use Google Chrome, so it wasn't an issue I thought I would run into. 

So I reinstalled Adobe and tried to print, and it worked! Problem solved. 

Thank you for your help though, my printer did need some of the updates from the scan-doctor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.