Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3700 All in One Series
iOS

My Deskjet 3720 won’t print black ink, I’ve replaced the cartridge and done 2 levels of printer head cleaning but to no avail. What next?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@LisaMcC

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I got to know from your post that you are not able to print in black. I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you able to copy document in black?

Could you also print a test page and let me know if it has black in it. In order to print the page, press and hold the Power button , and then press the Cancel button  then let go of the Cancel button and then the Power button.

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I’ve tried doing a copy in black ink and printing a test page as you suggested but still no black ink only tri-colour. I’ve removed the black cartridge and wiped the contacts on the bottom of the cartridge but still no success with black ink I’m afraid.

HP Recommended

@LisaMcC

Thanks! Power resetting the printer and then performing an automated cartridge cleaning resolve the issue, let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) On you Mac, click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

7) Depending on your version of OS X, click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

😎 In the Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners window, select your printer, and then click Options & Supplies.

9) Click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.

10) Click Clean Printheads , and then click Clean. Click Cleaning Level 2 to continue the next level of cleaning.

11) Click Align  on the HP Utility.

12) On the Align Print Cartridges window, click Align.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, i have the exact same issue and the steps above have not fixed this. Can you please advise what my options are. Thanks

HP Recommended

@smsawyer,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue on PhotoSmart 7520.  I followed all the steps above and black is still not printing despite a new cartridge. I am running macOS 10.14.5 on a 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch. The HP driver version is 2.  I also tried using HP Easy Start to uninstall and the reinstall the HP software. It says I'm ready to print.

Can you help me?

HP Recommended

Opps. Typo. that should be 7920.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem:  after replacing the black ink cartridge the printer still would not print black ink.  Here's a laugh, I had forgotten to remove the protective tape from the print head of the new cartridge!!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.