Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M553n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M553n Lcd screen went black.  Now the printer will not print.    I unplugged the printer for over 5 minutes and started it up.  It goes through all its start up procedures as normal but the LCD screen is black and it will not print. 

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This test page demonstrates that the power supply, DC controller and related components are OK. If the printer is not recognized when a usb is plugged in then it looks more and more like a bad controller. I am sending you a PM with one piece of advice before you order a formatter for this machine.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Before trying any hardware swaps you should always reset the device first. There is an engine test button on the back of the printer. Look for a small hole and use a straightened paper clip to press it. Make sure there is paper in tray 2 or test will fail. If engine test works then you likely have a failed formatter. To test for sure, power off the printer, remove the formatter and try the engine test again. If engine test works with formatter removed then formatter is you issue If engine test fails with formatter removed there are other issues with the printer such as a bad DC controller

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hello Repairatrooper,

I did what you said and it did print a test page successfully.  I am ready to remove the formatter as you suggested.  The only problem is I so not know what a formatter is or where it is located.  Could you tell me this information?  I am eager to try this.

Thanks!

Mark

HP Recommended

Just to confirm, you were not able to print a document when the screen is black? This is a touchy point because usually a bad formatter will prevent the test page from printing, but if you cannot print with the screen black then likely it is the formatter.

The formatter is the board that the network or usb cable plugs into. Located at the back of the printer.

HP Recommended

paper.jpgthis is what the printer printed when I pushed  the test button with my paperclip behind the printer.  This is all while the LCD screen remains black.  When the printer stopped working I tried to install the latest drivers and in the process the software uninstalls the current drivers however I still see the HP software under printers in my windows 7 Ultimate.  Right now I cant install any drivers as the computer does not see my 553n printer in the installation software even when I have the printer connected to my computer with a usb cable or through wifi.  Before I tried installing the new drivers my computer at least could detect the printer, although the printer still would not print anything.

HP Recommended

This test page demonstrates that the power supply, DC controller and related components are OK. If the printer is not recognized when a usb is plugged in then it looks more and more like a bad controller. I am sending you a PM with one piece of advice before you order a formatter for this machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.