Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser MFP 179fnw

I spent over an hour on the phone to one of HP technicians on Thursday and he promised to have someone email me yesterday - I have heard nothing. I have visited one of your suppliers who has confirmed that this product should print at least 150,000 pages before the transfer belt needs to be replaced. Your technician told me that it would only print up to 20,000 pages and I am near to that. I would never have bought this machine (14 months ago and receipt can be supplied - bought via Amazon) if I had known it needed to be replaced just over a year later. I relied on the assurance that it would print at least 150,000 pages. I want HP to replace this printer i.e. an exchange. I have already replaced the drum. If this printer is not replaced then I will bring proceedings in the small claims court for damages on the basis of misrepresentation. I have better things to do but I will do this because I feel very badly treated by HP and very annoyed that half my morning on Thursday was taken up (a) trying to speak to someone that would/could help and (b) when I did he wasted an hour of my time whilst I answered irrelevant questions. I am really vexed not to have had an email from HP as promised.

I am posting this as a warning to others

Regards Ann Crighton, Direct Access Barrister

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You can reset the transfer belt count for free and continue to use the printer.

Information that this printer model can print 150k pages without replacing the transfer belt is wrong and you should probably find a person who gave you the wrong information only to take money from you.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

You purchased the wrong product for your expected print volumes. This model is designed for small home users, not a business application. The monthly recommended page volume on this unit is MAX 500 per month (https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-color-laser-mfp-179fnw). Just in toner costs alone you are paying way more for this device than you would have going with a more robust machine. In my opinion, if you discussed your print volume with a sales person and they told you to buy this, they are at fault. Do not blame HP, they clearly state recommended print volumes on their products, but honestly often people do not consider that. This is like buying a Toyota Prius and then complaining that Toyota makes defective cars because you cannot pull a 30' trailer with it. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.