Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
J310
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I'm getting a "Stopped - 'Filter" failed message when I try to print.

Everything was working fine and dandy until today. 

I downloaded the latest printer driver and I'm still getting same error message. When I downloaded the latest printer driver, I get a message saying the Certificate Expired yesterday. I don't know if that is a problem or not.

Also, after downloaded the printer driver and installed it, I see nothing in the Applications folder on the Mac. Hmmm...

I would appreciate some help truobleshooting this problem. Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution is to download (and install) this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

If this solved your issue, please thumbs up and mark as solved!

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

The solution is to download (and install) this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

If this solved your issue, please thumbs up and mark as solved!

HP Recommended

Beautiful!

THANK YOU!!!!

HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed this but it did not help. I restarted my computer after also. Anything else you did that might make a difference?

HP Recommended

I just deleted the offending file/folder and emptied my trash and it seems to work now.

HP Recommended

Saldy It doesn't work for me... 😞

HP Recommended

Replying to BryanCustomPure, who wrote:

"The solution is to download (and install) this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:

"

I tried this, and it solved the problem, albeit not in a perfect way. The really good thing is, I am able to print out things again, many thanks! It looks like the main problem really was the expired certificate.

The only remaining complaints that the printing dialog complains about not having access to a file in the /private/var/spool directory, which is a bit strange. But since I can print again, I am much more happy now 🙂

HP Recommended

If you haven't already, try uninstalling and reinstalling your printer in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners

HP Recommended

I still can see the scanner of a 5780 more suggestions

HP Recommended

Thank you!!! This worked for me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.