Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer appears offline when trying to print from word. I looked at all the network settings and it is connected to the wifi (says the connection is "excellent"). I have tried restarting my computer, printer and router. Have also tried disconnecting the printer and reinstalling it but nothing is working.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@jaf343

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer and it appears to be offline when you try to print. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Please perform the steps from this HP article to fix printed offline issues in the Windows operating system. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I’m having the same problem but with my iPad air. I don’t have a regular computer.

HP Recommended

@Earl95

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer and it appears offline on your iPad air. Not to worry, I'll do my best to assist you with this case. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• On your printer, make sure the wireless feature is on, and the printer is connected to your local wireless network.

Some printers have a wireless icon  and a blue light on the front of the printer. Make sure the light is on and not blinking, if your printer has a wireless icon.

• On your Apple iOS device, open the Wi-Fi settings and make sure you are connected to the same local wireless network as your printer.

NOTE: AirPrint does not support public wireless networks, such as public mobile hotspots, Bluetooth, or cellular data connections, either 3G or 4G.

• Open the document, photo, email, or webpage you want to print, then tap the Share icon  or  to display the menu options.

• Tap Print or the Print icon , depending on the type of file you want to print.

The Printer Options menu displays.

• On the Printer Options menu, tap Select Printer.

A list of available printers on the network displays.

• Select your printer, change print settings if necessary, then tap Print.

If the printer does not print from your iPad then please perform the steps mentioned under "Frequently asked questions (FAQs)" >> "What if the print job did not print?" from this HP article.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Can anybody please tell me how to get an Envy 4520 Online?????????

HP Recommended

Same problem-ish.  Mine often says it is offline, when in fact, it is connected to Wifi with a strong signal.  I have to pause printing and restart about 10 times before it will "find the printer" online.

HP Recommended

I have tried all the trouble shooting hints but still the printer thinks it is off line. It isn’t. My NBN connection is just fine. 

HP Recommended

@acham, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, I would like to know the following-

What is the Operating System installed on the computer?

Is there any antivirus/security software installed on your computer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as others.  When I try to scan or print after the printer has not been used for some time  the HPSmart app says it is off line and nothing works.  The screen on the printer is black but the blue light is solid blue indicating it on line.  The on/off button doesn't function at all, when it is pushed or pushed and held.  The touch screen is unresponsive too.  The only way i can make the printer functional is to unplug the power cord and plug it in and it restarts.  I am on Comcast internet, running an HPpavillion with Windows 10.  It does exactly the same thing with my IPad.  I have had this trouble for months but am finally done with it.  I am planning on buying another non HP printer if i cant get this fixed.  I am a life long HP user and I don't expect these issues with the system.  Also, adding to my disdain is that i have been on the HP ink plan for a couple of years now and see that when i used to buy ink retail the cartridges would not last very long and since i don't print daily, would plug up.  When I went to the auto replacement plans the Ink never plugs and cartridges last virtually a year or more.  It would appear that these cartridges have more and better ink than the retail ones. 

HP Recommended

unplug it, wait, and plug it up again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.