Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few times recently I have returned to my printer to discover it flashing "ERROR CODE 0xB87D5D70" . 
This error message is being displayed on the LCD screen on the printer itself. (i.e. it is NOT a WINDOWS error message). It does not appear to be as a result of printing. I just walked into the room yesterday and it was displaying the error. I wasn't printing at the time.

The only recourse available to me being to turn it off and on again.

This clears the error and it then works fine when I next go to print.

Can anybody tell me what this error code means?

The "HP Virtual Assistant" on the web is unfortunately useless here, in that it doesn't understand this code when I type it in, and a web search of that code likewise returns no hits. Surely my printer hasn't miraculously discovered a whole new error condition all by itself!

Sadly the Virtual Assistant asks me what kind of error it is... e.g. cartridge error, paper jam error, that kind of thing.... how am I supposed to know???  lol.

I can understand not always having descriptive messages on the printer itself, but it is very poor that there isn't a "lookup list" on the internet, or within the virtual assistant. I really shouldn't have to contact support to find out what an error code means!

(Not sure if it is applicable, but I am an HP Instant Ink customer, and this printer is enrolled with HP Instant Ink)

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@takbb, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Going through your post I see that the printer goes into an error state every now and then, this could be an issue with the ink system ideally speaking. Follow the steps below to isolate and resolve the issue-

Remove the ink cartridges and reset the printer

1. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn the printer on.

7. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

8. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration or alignment page, do so

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to help, and your response.

Unfortunately what was previously just "occasional" is now happening several times per day with no clues as to what the error code actually means, which I find somewhat ridiculous. It always produces the same code - it's not just random - so it must mean something! It just seems to appear when the printer has been left idle for "a while". It has so far never produced this error when the printer is actually printing. 

Which is why it would be really useful to know what the code means...! If it helps, the printer is connected wirelessly (not by USB)

Anyway, I have tried all of the suggestions above. I tried doing a firmware update, both from the printer control panel, and by downloading the latest firmware update from 2020. In both cases it reported that it was already up-to-date. That doesn't surprise me. The sudden occurrence of a fault after several years without problems does not sound like firmware, but rather sounds like something has failed. Hence I'd like somebody at HP to please tell me what the code actually means. What's the point of a specific code, if it cannot be interpreted? 

Further assistance appreciated. I cannot be the only person in the entire world to have this 0xB87D5D70 error code!
thank you

HP Recommended

@takbb

Appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.